Disconnected hose?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
nessanater
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5, all stock except for wheels, steering wheel and front splash shield

Disconnected hose?

Post by nessanater »

Is this metal hose/pipe supposed to have the rubber hose (that is sitting next to it) on it? I'm not sure exactly what these go to, so I've included the close up and the further away shot. They're below and to the passenger's side of the carb cover. I've been suspecting a vaccum leak because of idling issues when warming up is why I even was looking. Help?
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Disconnected hose?

Post by marlinh »

That is the EGR valve on the left, with the metal tube. I would hook it up.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, that is the EGR modulator hose, it goes on that nipple.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
nessanater
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5, all stock except for wheels, steering wheel and front splash shield

Post by nessanater »

Would there be a reason it was disconnected in the first place? It looked like there was a buildup of crud in the opening of the metal tube, and when I was trying to get the crud out (dirty/greasy dirt like stuff), it seemed like the crud was possibly built up even further down, possibly blockingthe whole tube. Is there supposed to be suction from either the metal tube or the rubber hose?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the EGR valve often collects build up of exhaust deposits, the valve can be removed and cleaned out so it funtions again. Mine is all plugged up too which is fine with me since the EGR harms max power output and economy a bit. If the valve leaks however it will act like a vac leak, so in that case you should cap or plug both ends of this vac line.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i agree with the above posts in that that hose from the bottom of the EGR vacuum modulator needs to go on the port next to it. no idea why it would be disconnected, someone probably just forgot to do it when reassembling something.

however, if you are still experiencing vacuum leak symptoms and want to disable the EGR, the easiest way to actually do that is to remove the large banjo bolt that connects the EGR metal tube to the front of the exhaust manifold. can't remember for sure but i think it's a 19 mm bolt. by removing it and replacing it with a normal bolt, you stop any exhaust gases from being recirculated into the EGR system.

if you just disconnect vac hoses and plug ports, there is still the likelihood that carbon buildup on the EGR valve is holding it open, allowing exhaust gases in at the wrong times and in the wrong amounts.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As dlb mentions, an uncapped/unplugged steel EGR tube will lead to an obvious exhaust manifold leak; this is easy to remedy.
Just get a bolt sized 20x1.50mm - and also use some shallow washers when installing in the manifold threaded hole.
This is an ordinary bolt - nothing special. This also provides a tad more room around the engine.
Note that some have said that a trans drain plug will also fit.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain