Custom EGR System with Weber Carb

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Custom EGR System with Weber Carb

Post by deejay1272 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been busy working up a solution that will allow me to run a WEBER 32/36 carb WITH the existing EGR system in order to help me pass smog tests. So far I'm really close to a complete solution (with big thanks to DLB for his support over PM).

I've hooked up my EGR system in line with page 108 of the FSM. I've tested that the EGR vacuum modulator closes and opens appropriately in low pressure and high pressure scenarios, AND I've confirmed that the EGR valve itself does in fact hold vacuum.

The EGR valve is supposed to stay closed when the coolant is still cool (which it does). But here's my problem: Once the car is warmed up, the exhaust gas is constantly recirculated whether the car is at idle or under load. It's all fine and good when I'm giving her gas, but at idle it runs rough. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can prevent vacuum from being pulled to the EGR valve at idle?
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Custom EGR System with Weber Carb

Post by dlb »

i'm looking at page 108 and it says when the throttle valve is below the carb's EGR port, there is no vacuum applied from there to port P of the modulator. this should be the case at idle since the throttle is at complete rest then, so if you are getting vacuum applied to the modulator at idle that means the throttle valve is always above the carb's EGR port. that seems like a dumb design on weber's part but i don't know how EGR systems work on other cars so maybe the tercel's EGR system is the dumb one. anyway, i know the weber only has 2 or 3 vac ports on it so i would just confirm that you are connected to the one marked EGR in this diagram.

failing that, i would cap that port and instead, add a 'T' to the vac advance port and try running the EGR off of that. that seems to make sense since both ported vac advance and the EGR operate at moderate throttle, aka cruising speeds. keeping the manifold vac line connected to the EGR system via the TVSV will keep the system from engaging while the engine is cold, so i think that should work. hopefully, anyway!
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

Thanks for the thoughts, DLB.

Ok - I've completed my custom EGR solution and my Terc seems to be running pretty well near perfectly.

Here are the images from page 108 of the FSM that show you how to hook up your EGR system with a WEBER carb. It's really quite easy to do. There are a few checks that you're supposed to do (on page 109 and 110 of the FSM), so be sure you confirm that the EGR valve holds vacuum, the vacuum modulator does what it's supposed to do and that your check valve operates properly (TVSV needs to be functional as well, but that's obvious).

I ended up having some difficulty with my idle speed when I hooked up my EGR system, so be sure that you reset idle as per the WEBER recommendations (http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adjust.htm) before you get frustrated like I did. Pay special attention to the mixture screw. You need to have a slightly richer mix in order for things to run smoothly. Aslo, your timing may need to be adjusted slightly to really smooth out any hiccups (I'm runing at about 10* BTDC on my timing before my smog test. I'll be changing this to ~15* BTDC after the test to reduce risk of exhaust valve failure).

I'm going to take the car in today or tomorrow to get it smog tested. I'll follow up on this post to complete the loop and let you all know if it worked or not. I expect that it will since the exhaust went from smelling like toxic death to normal carbureted motor exhaust. Onward to a cleaner future!
Last edited by deejay1272 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

did you get the EGR to stop opening on idle while still connected to the EGR port?

and pics!! i'm very excited about this.
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

dlb wrote:did you get the EGR to stop opening on idle while still connected to the EGR port?
Turns out that the idle was set all weird so that was causing improper vacuum all over the place. Once I smoothed it out by resetting idle, things cleared up nicely!
dlb wrote:and pics!! i'm very excited about this.
I thought about posting pics (and I'm still happy to do that), but the diagram is the most clear for sure. I didn't want to confuse things too much...
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

deejay1272 wrote:I'm going to take the car in today or tomorrow to get it smog tested. I'll follow up on this post to complete the loop and let you all know if it worked or not.
Boom. Passed the emissions test. It may be a good idea to sticky this thread for others that pursue the Weber carb solution to simplify fuel deliver/emissions systems.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

deejay1272 wrote:
deejay1272 wrote:I'm going to take the car in today or tomorrow to get it smog tested. I'll follow up on this post to complete the loop and let you all know if it worked or not.
Boom. Passed the emissions test. It may be a good idea to sticky this thread for others that pursue the Weber carb solution to simplify fuel deliver/emissions systems.
unreal, congrats! this is a real game changer for a lot of folks! good for you for figuring it out and making it work.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I notice you're from the Portland area. Were you having trouble passing the Portland emissions test before? I've gone through twice with a Weber and no EGR and have not had trouble. The idle test doesn't check for NOx at all, which is what the EGR reduces...
It would be interesting to hear if it improves mileage at all, since EGR should help with that.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The EGR reduces compustion pressures and peak temperatures when it is in operation, that can not improve economy. It reduces efficiency, reduces fuel economy. It dilutes the incoming air with exhaust by lowering the O2 concentration, reducing the max amount of fuel that can be burned in the combustion cycle. The basic Otto cycle efficiency if reduced when peak temps are lower.

This is one of my complaints with the EGR, it may reduce parts per million (a percent, or ppm), but it will cause the car to burn more fuel to drive the same distance. So I suspect it may actually increase the parts per mile. the original proposal was to reduce NOx and CO by parts per mile, but the Big Three (who make all their money on big gas hog cars) lobbied to have it changed to PPM, and hence we get the ERG. I had followed this regulatory "compromise" when I was in high school, I always like smaller cars and parts per mile would favor smaller, lighter, and more fun to drive cars. But it would not favor the land yachts that Detroit was always peddling, so Detroit got its way and we got crap EGR in our small engines.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

If it's working properly the EGR system significantly reduces pumping losses by increasing the pressure in the intake plenum with non-combustible gas. Since pumping losses are generally the second biggest mechanical loss in the system (after friction...) EGR usually improves economy slightly.. On an engine like the 3AC it's probably not more than 1 mpg or so... Of course, it requires a properly designed and working system.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that might be true of the modern cars with electronic controls, I doubt it is true of of the older carburated cars. The engine management systems of the modern cars controls EGR and fuel air ratio according to feed back sensors, and can optimize the operation of the engine with the EGR engaged (which only occurs at part throttle cruise conditions). When the EGR was first introduced it had a profound detrimental effect on fuel economy of the older carburated cars. there was a "cottage" industry of back yard mechanics disabling them. At what point the EGR was optimized to improve economy is the question. I think in most conditions at best it as little effect on it, only in the more modern cars (OBD 2 and newer) does it help. I searched the internet to see if there was a correct answer to this question and it was no help (a lot of bad information). Though it does appears it is important for the modern computer controlled cars (these cars also control the shifting of the trans with the same ECU, spark advance, as well as mixture), but on earlier cars I do not see how it can help at all. Reducing the basic Otto cycle efficiency does more harm than reducing some minor part throttle pumping losses, with the 16-valve induction system there are not a lot of pumping losses anyway.

Consider the corolla all-trac ('88-92?) that uses almost the same engine as the FWD corolla. Both engines are identical in all ways EXCEPT, for some reason, the all-trac does not have an EGR. I do not know why, but the all-trac gets excellent fuel economy.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:Consider the corolla all-trac ('88-92?) that uses almost the same engine as the FWD corolla. Both engines are identical in all ways EXCEPT, for some reason, the all-trac does not have an EGR. I do not know why, but the all-trac gets excellent fuel economy.
my all trac has an EGR. however, the 2wd corolla wagon i had did not, even though both have the same 4afe engine. pretty curious.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I have gotten significantly better gas mileage on a stock carb'd 3AC without the ERG system. Even better with a tuned emissions system. For my weber setup, it's worked great w/o the egr and baseplate heater.
Also I've had no problem just leaning out and advancing a weber setup to pass emissions in both Washington State and Canada.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

Petros wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm The EGR reduces compustion pressures and peak temperatures when it is in operation, that can not improve economy. It reduces efficiency, reduces fuel economy. It dilutes the incoming air with exhaust by lowering the O2 concentration, reducing the max amount of fuel that can be burned in the combustion cycle. The basic Otto cycle efficiency if reduced when peak temps are lower.

This is one of my complaints with the EGR, it may reduce parts per million (a percent, or ppm), but it will cause the car to burn more fuel to drive the same distance. So I suspect it may actually increase the parts per mile. the original proposal was to reduce NOx and CO by parts per mile, but the Big Three (who make all their money on big gas hog cars) lobbied to have it changed to PPM, and hence we get the ERG. I had followed this regulatory "compromise" when I was in high school, I always like smaller cars and parts per mile would favor smaller, lighter, and more fun to drive cars. But it would not favor the land yachts that Detroit was always peddling, so Detroit got its way and we got crap EGR in our small engines.
teranfirbt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 pm If it's working properly the EGR system significantly reduces pumping losses by increasing the pressure in the intake plenum with non-combustible gas. Since pumping losses are generally the second biggest mechanical loss in the system (after friction...) EGR usually improves economy slightly.. On an engine like the 3AC it's probably not more than 1 mpg or so... Of course, it requires a properly designed and working system.
It makes sense from a mechanic standpoint, but the main purpose of the EGR is to increase intake pressure to reduce pumping loss while cruising, like Teran said. At the same time, the EGR should always be engaged at idle because its second purpose is to reduce the temperature at idle to lower the NOx emissions.

However, at WOT the EGR, when functioning properly, is shut off to maximize combustion.

So when the system is running properly it will increase the intake pressure when cruising (like at highway speeds) to make the engine perform better. Each cylinder sucks the same volume in, so even with the fuel mix diluted with exhaust, the increased pressure will in turn make the cylinder suck in the same mass of fuel and air, just with some added exhaust
Petros wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 pm that might be true of the modern cars with electronic controls, I doubt it is true of of the older carburated cars. The engine management systems of the modern cars controls EGR and fuel air ratio according to feed back sensors, and can optimize the operation of the engine with the EGR engaged (which only occurs at part throttle cruise conditions). When the EGR was first introduced it had a profound detrimental effect on fuel economy of the older carburated cars. there was a "cottage" industry of back yard mechanics disabling them. At what point the EGR was optimized to improve economy is the question. I think in most conditions at best it as little effect on it, only in the more modern cars (OBD 2 and newer) does it help. I searched the internet to see if there was a correct answer to this question and it was no help (a lot of bad information). Though it does appears it is important for the modern computer controlled cars (these cars also control the shifting of the trans with the same ECU, spark advance, as well as mixture), but on earlier cars I do not see how it can help at all. Reducing the basic Otto cycle efficiency does more harm than reducing some minor part throttle pumping losses, with the 16-valve induction system there are not a lot of pumping losses anyway.

Consider the corolla all-trac ('88-92?) that uses almost the same engine as the FWD corolla. Both engines are identical in all ways EXCEPT, for some reason, the all-trac does not have an EGR. I do not know why, but the all-trac gets excellent fuel economy.
And pumping losses, we specifically mean the work required between intake and exhaust. When the engine is under low intake pressure, the pumping loss is extremely high because the vacuum is working against the engine motion. The number of valves only decreases the engine's pumping loss at WOT since it is moving maximum air flow