Plastic Connector/Coupling For Rear Wiper Linkage Arm?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Plastic Connector/Coupling For Rear Wiper Linkage Arm?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

My rear wiper started operating erratically. I traced it to a plastic "connector" that linked the wiper motor's short rotating arm to the linkage (similar connector at the base of the actual wiper).

The "circlip" holding it all together had come adrift from the main body of the dome-shaped connector. I was able to secure it again by cleaning the area of its union and the top of the dome-thingie with alcohol and then super-gluing both into place on the arm. It seems amazing that such a seemingly "British Device" has lasted all of these years - let alone the lube in the coupling.

The dome coupling itself does not rotate, but the smooth stud on the motor's arm rotates within the "dome." While I did not remove the dome from the link (afeared of breaking it), it seems there is a ball on the smooth stud which fits into the socket of the dome - true?

While my fix has been working OK for a few days - if the "dome" permanently Goes South - does anyone have any ideas for its replacement? Toy does not show this as a separate part and I could find nada on neither the AZ nor the ADV sites.
Is this method of attachment used on many other cars?
The hole in the main arm link is larger than is the smooth stud from the motor's link, which would seem to be a problem.
Tom M.

Left-click to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: Plastic Connector/Coupling For Rear Wiper Linkage Arm?

Post by Highlander »

Tom, I ran into this when my wipers quit working during a hellacious snowstorm. The front wipers are run the same way-ball and socket (yes, Tom that is a ball in there). That said, the plastic pieces are, as you said, NLA- the only way to fix it is to find a piece in the JY. The arm with the dome (or socket) gets popped off- don't try to remove the clip, its part and parcel to the socket somehow. I've never had any luck trying to remove and reinstall the clip-t breaks as soon as you try to remove it and then you're done for. As long as you don't mess with it, it works. I just pry the arm off by getting between the two arms and working it up gently. I may have an extra rear wiper arm, I'll have to check though.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

tom, i have spare rear wiper motors for both the lateral and the vertical style wipers. drop me a line if you'd like one.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks to both of you guys - the motor works just fine, so don't need a replacement for it. As mentioned, my "fix" keeps working, even in the downpour we had the other day.
I'm gonna make an effort to come up with some kind of replacement that would work.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Post by RootsandStars »

So, it seems that my 'dome coupling' has broken on my front wiper. If I am getting this correctly it seems as though I am done for. Do I really have to buy a whole new wiper kit ($300 is what I'm being told for a whole new set up)? What if I find a dome coupling on another Tercel? Please help. If anyone has any info please let me know.
Thanks!
~ Danielle ~
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ RootsandStars - see my reply under your other, similar, post.

I will delete both your and my posts on this thread in a couple of days.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Post by Hiro »

Seems like we have an opportunity to maybe get some dimensions/specs on the plastic part and maybe 3D print some replacements. I have a nice 3D printer at work. We can try to use an external E clip maybe in a redesign? Any thoughts on this Highlander, DLB, or Archinstl?
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ Hiro: Excuse my ignorance, but if a new connector could be found - or even one that looks intact - wouldn't you need that to use as a model?
Again, I know nothing about 3D printing, save to simply marvel at it.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

I could use an old connector as an example. Even if it's broken or worn, it could serve as a good starting point to take measurements to create a solidworks model from. From there, I can take the solidworks CAD model and process it for use in a 3D printer. There's different types of plastics, but ABS is the most common. I can have a few produced and we can test them out and verify they work. The cost of 3D printing isn't expensive; the labor effort is usually the driving factor of costs though I'll gladly donate my time to "small" efforts like this. Eventually, reusing old parts cars will become hard to find and obsolete, and replacing them with parts still working but just as old isn't exactly my idea of a "Fix"
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

If no one else has one that is in good condition I would be willing to pull mine and see what condition it's in. If it's in good shape I'll measure it and post here so a model can be made for printing.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

It's going to be tricky, but hopefully doable.

The stud ball OD and the linkage ID are critical dimensions...
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

For the rear? I pulled everything of mine out of my old hatch awhile back because the new hatch didn't have the rear wiper setup. I'll look in my box of parts today when I get off work.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

I see this thread started years ago, but the problem is likely to be occurring more on these older cars. The bushing looks same or similar to what I had to repair on my Tercel front wipers.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8585&hilit=wiper+linkage+bushing