IGNITION SWITCH STUCK

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
heykitch

IGNITION SWITCH STUCK

Post by heykitch »

The key goes in and out just fine, but I can't turn the key out of the lock position. I've tried jiggling the steering wheel as I try to turn the key, I've tried tapping the key with a nylon hammer as I try to turn the key.

Anybody know how to fix this?

1984 Tercel Wagon 4x4 SR5 196,000 miles
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm sure you've done this but here goes... you have pressed the little button above the key?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
heykitch

Post by heykitch »

Yes, that button isn't stuck.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

try using some lubricant, it has worke for me
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
heykitch

Post by heykitch »

Tried that too.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Wiggle the key up and down while doing it, also try flipping the key upside down. Sometimes a little further in or out can make the difference.
Do you have the right key? My key works in my sis' Terc, sometimes. Othertimes it just acts like the ign. is jammed.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
heykitch

Post by heykitch »

I've tried both keys that fit the ignition, flipped both ways. I've tried varying the depth also.

I guess I'll have to pull the ignition cylinder. I think this involves pulling the steering wheel though. Bummer.
mightyterc

Post by mightyterc »

Last edited by mightyterc on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
gemini recovery vehicle
mightyterc

Post by mightyterc »

Same thing happened 2 me, i ended up getting a new barrel (about $60 AUD).

Its not hard 2 install, you definately dont need 2 take the steering wheel off, just the covers on the top and bottom of the steering shaft (like between the steering wheel and the dash to hide the indicator switch etc), i think 4 screws.

then im suure its just a matter of sliding the old one out, and a new one in. From memory however, i think that the key needs to be on accessories, at some stage, i cant quite remember. :?

I did it all in about an hour, and had no idea what i was doin, im sure you will be able 2 do the same. Easy 8) 8)
gemini recovery vehicle
heykitch

Post by heykitch »

Turns out I didn't have to take off the steering wheel, but did anyway to get more room to work. I had to get the broken ignition cylinder out of the housing. The way to do this is to push a little button at the 12 o'clock position on the housing in with the tip of a curved knife. At the same time, with the key in, and in the acc position, you pull the cylinder out. The problem with this is that my switch was stuck in the lock position which was the whole reason I needed to replace it. Classic Catch-22. Eventually I had to hammer a flat-head screwdriver into the key slot, turn it with a wrench, and break the lock thus getting it into the acc position. Then it was just a matter of getting a new ignition cylinder ($108 US) and putting it in. Should be good for another 200K miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Did anyone else have this problem and fix it the same way as heykitch did? If so, I'll move the post to the Repair Guides section - this will make a later Search easier.

Note to heykitch: I ain't dissin' or doubtin' your solution - just want to discover if there is only one way to skin the cat.
Our little cars need all the help we can give them.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Did the same strong arm method with my column from the yard.
Meck
Advanced Member

Post by Meck »

I replaced mine with a universal lock/switch from Autozone. Cost was about $8.00 (USD). With the use of some plastic, large washers, etc., I was able to put it into the same position as the original. It looks okay and was cheap. The only loss is that there is no steering lock. No problem as I don't expect anyone to want to steal this thing.
'85 4wd daiily driver
'85 4wd for parts
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

AutoZone sells the replacement ignition cylinder and keys for about $28. Most of the stores stock it.
Last edited by neonsport on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I had this exact problem on my first Tercel4wd, it occurred at about 188k IIR. It happened about 20 miles from home on someone else's property. I was able to get a ride home and return with my tools. I too had to force the lock to break the lug off to get the cylinder out. I then used a flat screwdriver to start it drive it home.

The lock tumblers fatigue and start breaking off inside the lock, sooner or later one gets caught in a place that will not allow the lock to turn.

My low budget solution was to remove all of the tumblers from the cylinder (and the tiny springs that supposed to hold them in place), and to just use the cylinder in the ignition without a lock in it. It looked normal on the outside, but you could put any key in it, or even a small screw driver, to start the car. You could even extract the whole cylinder if you wanted since the locking lug was now broken off. It just became a "decoy" lock, to fake out any would-be thieves. Since the door locks still worked, I was not too worried that someone would break in to steal my beat-up old tercel. Besides, if I ever lost the key, I knew I could use a screw driver to get the car started and drive it home. That car was not worth spending $100 to fix the ignition lock, especially since it did not need it to run perfectly good.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)