alternator noise?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

alternator noise?

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Hey there, today I've notice s while the car is warming up there is a faint screech, kind of scratchy noise that comes from what I believe to be the alternator area? Could this be the alt failing?

Thanks
Andrew
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: alternator noise?

Post by Petros »

more likely it needs a new fan belt. when the weather is cool it does not grip as well on the pulley until it warms up. if the belt looks okay, try putting a bit more tension on it with the adjustment (not too much). You can also get belt dressing to prevent slip with the belt, look for it in an Auto parts store.

it is pretty rare the bearings in the alternator fail, usually other parts give up first and you replace it. but anything is possible. also there is a bearing in the water pump that can make noises, but when that goes bad it allows coolant to leak out past the seal, you will usually see it. If this is the cause, you risk running it out of coolant and over heat the engine, so make sure there is no play in the water pump shaft.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)