Clutch cable questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

Clutch cable questions

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Hey all clutch cable snapped on me right at the pawl and release sector area, I'm thinking perhaps the new clutch could have just worn out the thirty year old cable via too much tension??? As I have already replaced a release sector which snapped in half and believed it to be just an old tired part aswell. I played with the clutch adjustment plenty as well and while under there, never saw any suspect wear in the cable.

Also, any good pointers on replacing the cable?
Found some info in the FSM to remove the cable.

Thanks!
Last edited by Turdcelbrother on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

Re: Clutch cable questions

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Any one have luck with either one of these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Clutch cable questions

Post by Petros »

likely not the new clutch, but rather it breaks down internally, one strand at a time. When you remove the trans you have to put a sharp angle on the end to unhook it from the clutch release lever, may have been the last straw (so to speak) that made it give way. It likely would have given up soon after anyway even if you did not replace the clutch.

Basically, any moving part (and many non-moving parts too) are subject to wear and fatigue, eventually everything will wear out, break, or decompose to the point of needing to be replaced.

Amoug those that restore wooden boats, there is kind of a running joke that eventually after a historic wooden boat has been restored enough times, there is nothing left of the original boat. all of the parts have been replaced.

What is really remarkable is many of the moving parts last so long and never get replaced at all. consider the original cable is over 30 years old, getting a replacement is a good bet, should last you a good long while. That looks like a good price too.

I have about 400,000 miles on my original clutch cable, but I know it will likely give up sooner or later...I have spares.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)