Oil pressure dropping?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Oil pressure dropping?

Post by SirFoxx »

Hello--

It seems like I can never get a break with my '88 wagon. A few days ago, the motor started slinging oil everywhere under the hood. I thought it was the front main seal, so I set off on replacing that. When it came down to the front cover, I asked my friend if he knew how it came off. He told me that itll slide off once all the bolts are undone, and that you may have to pry on it just a bit to break it free of the RTV. So I did that, and got it move about 1/4" away from the block before I stopped. I went in and looked up how to take it off, and lo behold, the pickup tube is bolted onto it.

Today--I drove to an auto parts store to get a valve cover gasket, and on the way home (~12 miles, 20 minutes), the oil light started flickering on around 800rpm, then 1000, then 1100....until I got home, and at that point, it wouldnt turn off until about 2000rpm. I don't think I am going to drive it any more, but what could be causing the oil pressure to drop like this? I replaced the rod bearings when I refreshed the motor, so I don't think its those. I have a feeling I bent the pickup, but that wouldn't explain why the oil pressure is continually dropping off.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Oil pressure dropping?

Post by Mark »

Assuming the oil level isn't actually too low and the pump is loosing suction, I'd have a look at the oil pressure sensor (sender) itself. It can spray oil out pretty good when it fails (this happened to me) and it also might account for the low oil pressure warning light.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Oil pressure dropping?

Post by SirFoxx »

Just replaced the sensor. Still have the same issue. I'm thinking it's the bypass valve in the front cover. I'm still trying to decide if I want to fix it or get a 4a. It's half off this weekend and the pick n pulls, I may go pull a 4a bottom end and refresh it.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5