Manual transmission problem - getting it in Reverse

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ThuleanTercel
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd Manual.

Manual transmission problem - getting it in Reverse

Post by ThuleanTercel »

So i am having some problems with my 1983 tercel 4wd. All the other gears works just fine and there isn't any weird grinding noise or anything like that but it doesn't always get into reverse the first time. When that happen i've just put it 1st gear, given it a little nudge and then tried the reverse again and 9/10 out of time it gets into gear and works just fine after that.

So my questions are.
What can be the cause of this problem? I guess the gear is either damage, out of alignment or both.
Is this a huge issue? Can it somehow damage the rest of the transmission? Obviously its not good if i have parts of a broken gear rattling around in there but i haven't noticed any sounds that would point to that so i haven't taken it apart yet.

Any help would be appreciated.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Manual transmission problem - getting it in Reverse

Post by xirdneh »

I have had that same problem in several cars but it does not happen every time, just now and then.
It has never turned into a serious problem
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ThuleanTercel

Post by ThuleanTercel »

xirdneh wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 am I have had that same problem in several cars but it does not happen every time, just now and then.
It has never turned into a serious problem
Well that's good to hear. I just got this as my first car and i immediately fell in love with it so i want to keep it alive as long as possible with preemptive maintenance.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that can happen if the clutch does not fully disengage. this is caused by either the cable is out of statemented, or the cable is stretched and can not fully release the clutch. so it may need a new auto adjuster, new pressure plate assy, or new clutch cable. and the problem will go away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ThuleanTercel

Post by ThuleanTercel »

Petros wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm that can happen if the clutch does not fully disengage. this is caused by either the cable is out of statemented, or the cable is stretched and can not fully release the clutch. so it may need a new auto adjuster, new pressure plate assy, or new clutch cable. and the problem will go away.
Wouldn't the other gears be affected if that was the problem? I don't have any problem getting it into anything else. But i've only fiddled around with carburetor on this particular car so i'm pretty much a total noob.

I'll check it out either way, thanks.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

my experience with a bad pressure plate
very hard to shift into 1st, reverse and almost impossible to get into granny gear
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it depends how bad it is, usually with marginal disengagement, reverse is the first to give you trouble (it does not have a syncro on it), and first gear would be next to give you trouble. the others usually the syncros hide the problem, when the gear box is spinning the engagement goes easier.

the problem is not likely the gear box at all, but is most likely either: the clutch, the clutch cable (stretched too far), or the cable auto-adjuster is not working properly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ThuleanTercel

Post by ThuleanTercel »

xirdneh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm my experience with a bad pressure plate
very hard to shift into 1st, reverse and almost impossible to get into granny gear
It doesn't give me any trouble with 1st or the extra low but i guess the symptoms doesn't have to be the same for every car or it just hasn't gotten bad enough yet.
Petros wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 pm it depends how bad it is, usually with marginal disengagement, reverse is the first to give you trouble (it does not have a syncro on it), and first gear would be next to give you trouble. the others usually the syncros hide the problem, when the gear box is spinning the engagement goes easier.
Alright, that might be it then.
Petros wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 pmthe problem is not likely the gear box at all, but is most likely either: the clutch, the clutch cable (stretched too far), or the cable auto-adjuster is not working properly.
All those problem sounds like they would be easier to fix then fiddling around in the gear box itself, so that's good.

Thanks for the info guys, now i have somewhere to start.

Found a cool video with a guy that has a cutout manual transmission, maybe its been posted before but here it is anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PKIJeMJfko
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

On driver side of extension housing there is what looks like a large bolt head. It takes a 1-1/16" wrench to get it off. I would remove it and check to see if plunger on other end is stuck in out position. Its easy to get at so I think its worth checking. The thing helps to keep you from accidentally shifting into reverse when trying to find fourth gear. If stuck free it up with penetrating oil. If really stuck drill 3/16" hole in top of hex head and use Phillips screw driver to pound it out. When done tap the hole for 1/4-20 screw or JB weld