Burning oil.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Burning oil.

Post by BaileySims »

Alright. Luckily enough I was able to find a complete 3a for 200 bucks. The guy who has it said it had been sitting in his garage for over 5 years. Might be out of an 87 tercel? Looks a little different than mine, the valve cover does anyway, but it is complete and looks good on the outside. Just have to get it home today and check it over thoroughly. I still want to find .040 over pistons for my old motor so I can have a backup. I can't find anything locally, every website who says they have them, don't have them in stock. The only bit that bugs me is not having the original motor in the car, but I'm am just happy I found something to get me back on the road sooner rather than later.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

You could have the cylinders sleeved if you can't find pistons. That's what I had to do on my diesel because nobody makes oversized pistons for it except Toyota, and they want $360 each for them. :shock:
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

You might be right, but I don't have 600 dollars to sleeve the block. :/

Unless I can buy the sleeves and do it myself, but I'm pretty sure you'd need special tools for all of that. I'll just have to keep waiting for something to pop up. The people over at rock auto said they will get some back in stock but there didn't have an exact date.

Edit: what is this thing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Looks like a heater control valve- you sure it's a 3A engine and not a 3E (out of an '87 sedan; transverse engine?)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

I hope it's a 3a. Haha. Unless it's a 3e head? Never seen this before so I'm lost in the sauce over here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Whatever this thing is, it controls these little things in the intake. It also has these markings on it as if it were build by a shop whenever that was.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Doesn't look like a 3AC head to me- how many valves does it have? If 12, it's a 3E.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

It's got 8 and then those weird flapper in the intake.

This is open.
20170925_195438.jpg
This is closed.
20170925_195434.jpg
What is it blocking? I have no idea. It's vacuum operated and sounds as if it still works, just have to clean it out. Should I just throw this thing in and see what it does or just swap the heads?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Maybe it is a 2A head?

The 1.3 L 2A was produced from 1979 through 1989. 2A motors in 1982 onwardsAL20 Tercels have a slightly different valve cover and timing belt cover than early AL11 Tercels, as well as an automatic choke, and automatically controlled hot air intake (HAI) system. It also has higher compression ratio, and reformulated combustion chambers to improve the fuel economy and emissions. All variants used belt-driven SOHC eight-valve counter-flow cylinder heads with a single downdraft carburetor.

Hot air intake sounds like what it could be.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is some kind of mixture plate thing that came on the 3ASC engine (or some such designation), not sure of purpose, but it came on JDM engines of certain years. I think most people just remove it. perhaps the intent was to increase turbulence in the intake at lower speeds to improve fuel droplet break up.

Anything in the air stream affects the top end out put, so whatever the benefits at the low end, this engine is so under-powered that anything that reduces max out put I would remove.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

They are called a 3as. It is suppose to be a Swirl Valve Head that they claim makes better fuel mileage and power, I don't see how it could make more power by blocking off the tiny little ports these motors have, the last Terc I bought last year for parts had one of these motors in it, I don't know if it is the original motor or not, they had it all unhooked but the blades are still in the intake ports. The motor seems good, I drove it home and it worked fine,if I ever have to use it I would take them out or put a normal head on it. They have a different valve cover on them to compensate for the mechanism, they use the same gasket as the later 86-87 4a's did. I have a buddy that has two Tercs and he has these motors in bith of them and says they work great.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

turbulence in the intake improves low end power by improving the mixture, but it takes peak power away at the top end since it acts like an obstruction in the intake, it is not needed at the high end because there is already a lot of turbulence because of the larger volumn of air rushing down the intake manifold.

Most manufacturers were experimenting with this kind of thing, the 4age had extra intake ports that were blocked off at low speed, and opened at high speed. Honda had the CVCC combustion chamber using a multi port carb and extra intake valves that would have rich fuel mixture, and larger intake valves that had a leaner mixture. Nissan had the NAP-Z engine with two spark plugs in each combustion chamber. All of these devices were abandon once the switch over to electronically controlled fuel injection became main stream.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Got this bad boy in there and running today. Need to figure out how to set the timing with this harbor freight gun and change out the thermostat too and then I will finally be back on the road again!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Love the colour!