AC idler pulley continued

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

AC idler pulley continued

Post by kitchman »

Removed the AC idler pulley and the bearing seems ok, no roughness. The bearing doesn't appear to be serviceable and not intended to be removed from the pulley assy. I also have a 1983 Tercel hatchback and took a look at the AC idler pulley to see if there was any front to back movement in the pulley and there was. Just wondering at this point if this slight front to back movement in the pulley is normal?
Could you folks check on this with your cars and let me know?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: AC idler pulley continued

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I do not know how many miles are on the pulley that I removed from Goldie when I removed the entire system (compressor was locked up when the car was purchased and too many bucks to replace and convert to R134). However, the bearing is "smooth-running," but there is a slight horizontal movement of the pulley itself.
I don't need it, so if you want it, free but for postage from St. Louis.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Re: AC idler pulley continued

Post by kitchman »

Thanks for the reply and generous offer Tom, hold on to it for now, at this point trying to see if the slight front to back movement of the pulley is normal. Hopefully some other members will take a quick look at theirs and report back.
Thanks again!
Vince