What info to tell shop before dropping off terc

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

What info to tell shop before dropping off terc

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Hey there,
I'm looking to get my clutch and front axles done aswell as whatever work in the same immidiate area. My cv leak comes from where it actually meets the trans, the boots are not leaking but it does have a fairly steady leak out of what I presume is a cv axle seal??
The clutch has been rough since I bought it, I have messed with cable and height adjustments, I have about 5-6 teeth on the pawl still, however the clutch is still slipping often and chatters aswell as being very very stiff pedal feel.
I am looking for answers as to whether or not I should order parts myself to be confident in it being he right parts or should I hand the car over hoping that a reputable shop can achieve all I would like done.

I would like to do the clutch job myself but just do not have the space or clean working area for that at the moment and thought I would get the axles aswell as the seals done well I'm at it.
If bringing in my own parts what would be a good start to look for?

Car is a 1987 tercel 4wd manual trans
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: What info to tell shop before dropping off terc

Post by Petros »

Doing this yourself would likely save you $500-600. even if you have to buy tools and rent a shop to do it. if you buy your own parts get either Japanese or USA made parts.

Replace both axles seals, and also your engine rear main seal when you have the trans/clutch out of it. You might also consider replacing the selector level seal on the side of the trans and the rear trans seal (though both of those can be reached with it in the car).

Clutch chatter is almost certainly means it will be going out soon. Might have oil leaking on it it, so check for any sources of motor oil. Might look closely at valve cover gasket (especially that big half moon plug at the back), that is an easy fix you can do yourself.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)