New Drive axles , not remanufactured

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

New Drive axles , not remanufactured

Post by Buzzard67 »

Hi, I have put in 2 sets ( yes 2 sets ) of front drive axles and all of them have been shit. I called and stopped by the garage and was told they were remanufactured axles redone from the bottom up. SHIT PARTS.
I need a quick answer were I can get OEM , Toyota New axles for a 1984 Toyota Tercel Automatic 4wd DXL. They said they would honor the price I already spent on these axles , but I don't trust them to get it right. I need help form the club fast before the change there minds.
Oh I live in Minnesota if that helps.

Please Get Back to me ASAP.

Later Buzzard
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: New Drive axles , not remanufactured

Post by xirdneh »

What brand were the bad axles?
Sometimes they have new ones at rockauto.com
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

Post by Buzzard67 »

Not shure, mabe OK Auto. Just need New , Not remanufactured parts or OEM.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I already sent this as a PM, but I thought I would put it here for benefit of others.

I get them from rockauto, but I have also bought from discuntautoparts, and partsgeek below. Rockauto has good prices right now, but I do not know any of those brands. I have had bad experience with Cardone remans, but they also list new ones from Cardone, but I have no experiance with htem.

Compare their shipping costs, too, do not be fooled by low list price, but check price to your door. make sure you order a left and right, they are not the same.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... embly,2288

these guys have new GSP axles in stock, which many forum members had good luck with:

http://www.discountautoparts.com/catalo ... drivetrain

these guys have another brand FPQ claims to be good as factory (not likely):

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1984/t ... embly.html

Fastest way to get them: both NAPA and Autozone you can get on line prices and no shipping costs, if you pick it up in the local store (you have to go to their websites and order them on line). often they will deliver to local store in one day. so it is fastest way to go, and without shipping costs it may actually be cheaper, just make sure you get new and not remans. you do not have as many options with both of these retailers.

Last time I ordered from NAPA they did not have any new ones, so I had to get remans, but they did warrenty them. I opened the boxes and swiveled the CV joints around, I sent one back right in the store, did not even take it home. 50 percent bad right out of the box. It felt like I was running a file through rough metal, really bad. The store owner said it will "wear in", I told him to feel it, and said that every time the wheel goes around it will do that inside the joint. "would you put that in your car?". He ordered another one without comment. delayed me a day, but they seemed to be okay, and faster than ordering from a mail order house. The problem is if they come mail order you do not want to pay for return shipping of junk parts, nor for the delays.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I don't think Toyota has made OEM drive axles for decades. What problems have you had with the "shit" re-manufactured ones? Petros, your problem seemed pretty obvious and it seems crazy that that would pass any kind of quality control. Every drive axle I've had has been re-manufactured and I haven't had a problem except for ignoring torn drive axle boots which let out the grease (flung out into the wheel wells) and let in the dirt and water. My problem with re-manufactured axles is that the portions of the OEM CV joint are normally connected together with splines, allowing you to separate them and replace the boot (and re-pack the grease) if necessary. With this procedure, the axles should last forever. Unfortunately, with the re-man axles, the splines are usually mismatched and just pressed together permanently so you can't properly separate them replace the boots.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not think toyota ever made them, but purchased them from a supplier. the supplier would discontinue production when the volume of sales drop off, which will happen as the models of cars age and become less common, and far fewer reorders for the parts.

I have worn out cv axles with out ever having the boot get torn. the internal parts will eventually wear out. half or more of the remans have sloppy fit, so you get "click, click, click" right of out of the box of "new" recon cv axles. or the other problem is that the parts are improperly finished and end up rough. either errors are easy to check for before it is boxed, but I guess they skip that step.

properly done, there is no reason remanufactured should not last as long as new ones, and I have had the last a long time. But they are so riddled with improperly rebuilt axles it is not worth buying them.

Unfortuantly many of the new CV axles are made in China, with the same sloppy work and poor materials problems that remans will have. So you take your chances no matter what you order now.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)