It sounds like the passenger side wheel is going to

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

It sounds like the passenger side wheel is going to

Post by gnarnold »

Is it possible that these the gouges in the shock absorber then cause the fluid leak out that's making the ball joints fail and the wheel bearing go out I'm in the process of taking off the tie rod right now and I need some tips to do so because my pages in my book are gone any tips would be helpful thank you
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: It sounds like the passenger side wheel is going to

Post by Mattel »

Hi Gnarnold. I saw there is a multiple post of this question so i'm going to delete the otherones if you don't mind.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you only need to post it once.

to your question, not likely. both the wheel bearings and the ball joint is supposed to have seals on it, and if the seal is broken it would not last long anyway, dust and grit would wear them out fairly fast. hydrualic oil not not make it worse or better, not likely it would make any difference.

Sounds like you have a big job to do, good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I meant was since the shock failed I think that was reason why the ball joints failed and the wheel bearing because there was no shock to cushion those parts as far as the tie rod goes I got it on just waiting on a strut supposed to be on Tuesday to get the wheel bearing pressed tomorrow
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you still have the inflated tire dampening it, so I doubt it. Usually what happens is you will damage the upper mount and bump stop since the strut tube slams to the top. if you go long enough it might affect the lower ball joint, but it would take a while. you would really have to abuse it, and drive it for a really long time before it might have any effect.

I have driven a rescued Tercel across the country with all shocks and struts bad (completely without any fluid). The only place I notice while on the highway was if the road was rough and patched. Worst state was California, heavy traffic means really abused roadways. But most major highways were smooth enough that it was not noticeable.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I just replaced my front struts and upper mounts this weekend. Not a bad job. Only took a couple hours. I rented the compressor from O'reillys which worked fine. The only reason it took so long was because the oil had leaked out and made a mess everywhere. So I had to clean that up. Seattle has pretty tore up streets so it has made a difference.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Well I remove the strut. the strut and strut mount I think I'm missing some things in there. rubber grommets or something rubber bumpers or some something now I put this back together how much oil do I put in that tube it doesn't matter what kind of oil and does anyone have a better reference than that service manual . I mean I need to know what goes in that to do I put some in the relax with me a cushion or something to goes down in the bottom of that too or just raw oil and just the two in the seals and everything not even for my year car swinging this thing back and getting it on the road I've been stuck here for 4 days now
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Hard to tell what is going on by that description. Do you have new cartridges to drop in there? There is usually a tablespoon of light oil in the strut when original cartridge is removed. I have never put oil in there on any struts I have done. I do not know what seals you are talking about, oil seals? There is a bumper abt 3 inches long that slides over shaft. You could install without it but if you hit something hard enough to bottom out strut it may cause some damage.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Oh yeah just going by what my book says you said something about a seal I have a little washer thing and like a little cap and in that thing that screws on the top that's all yes I'm talking about the insert
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah delete all the post that you want I didn't mean to make more than one but yeah all I have is the insert tube the strut itself is coming today in the mail but as far as the components I have that screw on cap and go screws on top of the insert tube and the there's like a little cap with like a little flat washer and the top of the assembly where the part that mounts to up in the wheel well it has no rubber pieces on or anything I'm not sure if it's supposed to and then the this part were the lower part where the spring sits has no rubber on it either supposed to rubber or something on there
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

And also in the FSM it says the length of the tie rod from the threads to the midrdle of the bolt or is one says 11.38 in and the other one 10 inches what's the measurement from the threads to the actual the bolt on the ball joint what's the measurement from that too has to be screwed in for 1983 SR5
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

is there anything in here that might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpZWFfbc9NE ?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I think the longer stroke is for the 4wd, and the shorter for the 2wd, but either will work in the T4wd. hard to tell what you are asking.

as far as the oil in the strut, the factory assembly is a tube and piston on the shaft, and the strut tube is "wet", filled with oil. so there is no factory insert. I think they were intended to be rebuildable, but almost everyone just dumps the factory parts out and installs an insert. so the insert can cool properly they recommend putting a bit of oil in the strut tube so there is good heat transfer from the insert to the strut tube, you can use any light oil (and you do not need much). You will probably do fine without any oil at all.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I put a bit of a teaspoon and I went with the middle of measurement about you know 10:10 in the ass or some of that inches with the tie rod seems to be doing fine what a pain in the ass oops but thank you guys for all your help till next time