Carb. choke breaker question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Carb. choke breaker question

Post by kitchman »

Does anyone know what the plastic jet located in line between the vacuum port on the bottom right side of the carb. and the bottom back port of the choke breaker diaphragm is for?
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Carb. choke breaker question

Post by Mark »

It's a restriction that creates a delay of maybe 1 second in the vacuum being applied to the choke breaker diaphragm. This allows the choke to be fully closed for about 1 second, allowing a rich mixture for starting. To be honest, I don't know if it would be that big of a deal if it wasn't there at all. Maybe in very cold weather, not having this delay would cause hard starting?
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks for the reply Mark! The Jet that was on there allowed no air at all to pass through, so I eliminated it and ran a continuous section of line between the two points. Just wanted to make sure that I didn't shoot myself in the foot in doing so.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

It's possible it was working, it allows very little vacuum to pass through.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

It is coincidental you saying this! The other day I found the jet in question and attempted to suck on the vac. line on the carb. side of the jet while holding my finger on the line on the opposite side and of course no suction was observed. Then I tried sucking on the same line this time without blocking the other side and an extremely slight amount of suction was observed. Finding it hard to understand what such a constant, minuscule amount of suction would accomplish?