Clutch pedal release sector

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

Clutch pedal release sector

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Hi there, I've just purchased a 86 sr5 4wd, right as I got it in the driveway I put my foot on the clutch to park it in first and the plastic gear with teeth from behind the pedal snaps away from the other half of itself. I've searched everywhere and have finally found the part at a dealership... for 65 dollars... anyways I'm looking to see if anyone could help with tips to this process. I have read some stuff somewhere about the right about of teeth for the pawl. Clutch pedal was a little sticky before it snapped so assuming clutch cable was too tight? Or not enough teeth for pawl? Could someone help me with replacing it as well as where it went wrong the first time?
Thank you.
Last edited by irowiki on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed post
Turdcelbrother

Re: Clutch pedal release sector

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Also, with replacing the release sector, is there anything else that must be replaces as well. What would cause the release sector to snap as well? Just want to make sure it doesn't happen in the future, I have never owned a car without hydraulic clutch or pushrod for master cylinder so I'm very lost when I look behind the pedals. I have replaced the clutch master on my 86' corolla coupe but it was nothing to this wizardry of levers and springs, pls help
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

It is actually auto adjusting. So once you assemble it and install it, once pressure is applied to the pedal it will catch. As far as I know, the only thing that could really cause too much tension are a pressure plate that is designed with heavier springs for improved clutch pressure or your clutch cable is boogered up and needs to be replaced.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum!

likely the plastic part was just old and very brittle, and failed. Never seen that happen on the auto adjuster, but have seen on a lot of other plastic parts. does the car from from a hot desert environment? That is likely the cause.

All the other parts if serviceable will hold up fine. there is a little spring, if still stiff is okay to reuse, and the clutch cable, if not frayed, should last a long time. Otherwise replace it, the cable is not too costly, but are reliable so unless it is breaking wires in the cable, you can reuse it.

I would not worry about the plastic gear, the new one will last another 30+ years.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Turdcelbrother

Post by Turdcelbrother »

I see thank you very much for the info guys. I'm just taking the pedal apart now. I have gotten to taking out the collar and nut, however it was oppisite of the FSM, with fsm showing the pedal shaft going in through the right side with the nut on the left, should I do as fsm when putting back together?
Also how do I got abouts taking off the snap ring to get to the broken piece of release sector to replace
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

likely it does not matter if clearance is no issue, though curious if the illustration is for right hand drive version, vs. the left hand drive we have in North America.

half the world drives on the "wrong" side of the world.
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

After I bought my '83 Tercel in 1984, I remember having an issue with that plastic auto-adjuster sometimes slipping a tooth before it engaged positively. I adjusted the spring so the toothed sections made better contact and never had to deal with it again. Otherwise I suspect it would have been more likely to eventually strip the teeth.

It's in an awkward position to work on, I remember that. $65 for a replacement plastic do-dad? I would have tried to figure an alternative arrangement even if it meant having to manually adjust the linkage occasionally.

I had a Toyota Tarago van in Australia nine years ago and balked at spending $102 for a dealer part to fix a loose shifter linkage. It was just a plastic sleeve that had split off a metal shaft. I improvised a functioning replacement with 15 cents worth of rubber and plastic tubing.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

When I built the Rocket the plastic part your talking about failed so I went to the dealer and ordered 2--- one spare---- they wern't 65.00$
Turdcelbrother

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Ya was pretty bogus. But still working alright "knock on wood" I live on a fairly large island, be it an island. Next to Vancouver, local parts stores nor big part chains carried it, only a whole clutch assembly. Only place that had it wa Toyota dealership itself. And their famous for raping wallets because they have the market. Only could find an auto in the local scrap yards as well unfortunately. Oh well, price you pay for these wagys
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

never had an issue with any of mine, but perhaps the next time one shows up in the local wrecking yard I should get a spare.

does anyone know if this part is the same for all manual transmission Toyotas at the time? seems if it has a cable operated clutch, they would all use the same self adjusting cam.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

when I got my 86 fwd wagon the pedal went hard to the floor so I used 5/8 flat washers ,cut a slot in them and pulled the cable out from the bell housing and dropped them on,,it took 5 to get the clutch pedal back to normal,run her over 100000 miles like that,,2 dollar fix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.