Fuel pump insulator and heat shield missing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
boisesr5
My tercel:: 1984

Fuel pump insulator and heat shield missing

Post by boisesr5 »

While replacing a head gasket on my 84 SR5 I removed the fuel pump. Not know what to look for at the time I did not notice that there is no spacer or heat shield between the pump head. There wasn't even a gasket, just some sealant. AND there was only 1 bolt holding the pump in place.

After reading other threads I now know that there is supposed to be a spacer (insulator) and a shield.

My questions are
1. How could the pump work properly without those spacer taker uppers?
2. I can't find a spacer anywhere. Can I make one? How thick?

Thanks
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Fuel pump insulator and heat shield missing

Post by Petros »

you can make one, will have to measure thickness (about 10 mm as I recall). let be look though some boxes of stuff to see if I have one, I will send it to you. seems I recall having an extra one.

it is likely the lever will work without it, but it could also be bent to make it work. you will have to pull the valve cover and after you get everything installed turn it over by hand and verify that the lever stays in contact with the eccentric on the cam. If not than bend the lever arm so it stays in contact.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
boisesr5
My tercel:: 1984

Re: Fuel pump insulator and heat shield missing

Post by boisesr5 »

Thanks Petros, but someone already sent me one. I appreciate the helpful folks in this forum!!

All is well with the fuel pump, now dealing with the cracked rocker arm shaft...