Transmission issue ???

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jer0620
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd sr5

Transmission issue ???

Post by jer0620 »

I just got a 84 tercel 4wd sr5 as a project. the issue being that it doesn't seem to want to go over about 40. 1st and 2nd gear are strong and when it is up on the lift all gears will power the wheels but out on the road there doesn't seem to much power at all in 3rd-5th I have drove it back and forth a few times and it goes into all gears smoothly but just doesn't seem to have much in the latter gears and will mainly just rev up while in gear
any tips or help would be greatly appreciated
TracDoc
My tercel:: 1985 Deluxe

Re: Transmission issue ???

Post by TracDoc »

It sounds like you have a clutch problem. Either the clutch pedal free play needs to be adjusted, or the clutch needs to be replaced. Does the transmission or engine leak oil? If oil leaks on the clutch it will slip at some point. The slipping is happening at higher gears because the loading on the car increases as the vehicle speed increases. You might want to put few people in it or other weight and drive it in the lower gears to see if the increased load causes the clutch to slip.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum.

I agree, sounds like the clutch. here is a simple test: in an open parking lots (where there is nothing to run into), put on the parking brake hard, and heel the brake pedal. Rev the engine with the toe of your right foot, push in the clutch with your left foot. Put it in first gear and let out the clutch slowly. It should stall the engine. If you can keep the engine going with more gas, (watch the rpms on the tack), and you lift your foot off the clutch pedal with only the engine bogging down, the clutch is shot.

It is not recommended you drive until it is replaced, you could be left stranded. best place to get a clutch is rockauto.com. There is a thread in the repair guides section that will guide you through pulling the transmission, and reinstalling it. You will also want to replace the gear oil in the trans too, and there is an important thread on that topic as well (make sure you get all 4.1 quarts of gear oil in the trans). You might consider replacing the seals on the transmission out put shafts (the one on the rear, and the two for the CV axles). You should also replace the rear main seal on the crankeshaft while you are at it, it does not cost much, and if it goes bad later you have the pull everything out again to replace.

It is a big job, but can be done in a day if you have all the tools and parts you need to get it all back together.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jer0620

Post by jer0620 »

ok cool I wasn't sure if it was clutch or the trans itself. since I had it on my lift and went into all gears easily I disregarded the clutch but I cold see that as being it . there is a lot that needs done on the car but I love it and it will be a fun project thank you guys for the help I will keep everyone posted with progress
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

usually if the trans gives up, it makes a lot of bad noises, even if it still allows you drive forward. Lots of parts in there that do not like broken pieces of metal floating around inside it.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Probably your clutch but while you are there. Have you checked and replaced your transmission and rear diff oil yet? good maintanance to do anyway with a new car as the previous owners typically negelect. Check the filler opens before draining the old oil out first. You might want to try a good synthetic. Although costly it can help you get a few more years out of a worn box.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
jer0620

Post by jer0620 »

ok cool. I replaced the trans fluid and didn't get any metal while draining it I will change the fluid again while doing the clutch would you guys recommend like a 75-90 synthetic for the trans and rear ?. the new clutch will be here this week so this weekend i'm going to tackle the job thank you all for the input. next will be the lift since the shocks are shot so it will be a great excuse to lift it :)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

If you are new to tercel tranny removal, look into removing input shaft. Makes an easier job of removing and installing.
Also look into synth vs oil on this site. May have shifting issues if you go full synth. Gear oil is supposed to be apl 5
According to FSM. They say apl 4 is easier on synchros but 4 is harder on gears. I tried 4 on one tercel and differential gears broke. Not sure if 4 caused this or it was just due to high mileage. Will not be trying that again.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I put all synthetic in my very high miles, but still working good, Tercel4wd gear box, and found it suddenly acted like the syncros were gone (gear clashing at every shift), and it was leaking out all the seals.

considering how costly the MTF all synthetic gear oil was I thought I would change it out, put one quart of MTF, and 3 quarts until top up of standard multi-vis gear oil, and the problems went away. It occurred to me that the gear box was designed for single weight gear oil in about 1980, so the synthetic may just be too slippery for it to work properly. though the one quart still gives it wear protection, friction reduction but still allows it to operate normally.

Some owners have not had these kind of issues, but lubrication engineering is like anything else. the transmission has to be designed around the lubricants intended to be used in it. so drastically alter the properties of the lubricant, it will likely degrade its performance.