Driving without power steering belt

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Driving without power steering belt

Post by Mattel »

Hello. I have a serious power steering fluid leak from the old rack in my corolla alltrac. Tomorrow I have to go and pick up my replacement rack. My car is not holding fluid so the pump makes a lot of noise when switched on and I'm worried it's going to burn out. If I need to drive my car can I remove the belt and have non power assisted steering but save my steering pump? It should work ok without fluid? The rack will be replaced anyway but I'd like to the save the pump.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Driving without power steering belt

Post by helipilot77 »

Yeah it should be be fine it will just steer hard at low road speed.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks Helipilot. The alltrac steering is so much heavier than the tercel!
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, remove the belt or you will have to replace the pump too. should work fine, but w/o power.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Agreed on removing the belt. Something I should have done because mine was pouring out of the rack as well. A cap full of brake fluid completely stopped my leak, but now I'd feel safer replacing everything along with the rack so I don't contaminate the new one.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Thanks all. I couldn't swing the alternator like I could on the Tercel (maybe there is another bolt to undo) out of the way to remove its belt to allow access to the Power steering belt. so I ended up putting $5 worth of new fluid and will have to do the same tomorrow to take to the mechanic.. My Corolla is a fair bit harder to work on than the Tercel with the East West engine fairly tight. but at least my steering system got a flush I guess.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i used to drive my ae95 with the power steering belt removed in an attempt to improve my fuel economy a tiny bit. i got used to the heavy steering but when i eventually put the belt back on (my wife was borrowing it quite a bit for a while), i was amazed at how light the steering felt once again. if i ever have to remove the engine, i'm going to remove the rack and convert it to a manual rack.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Mattel, I have a fully reconditioned power steering unit that I was going to install on my Tercel. But I've decided to stay with manual steering. If it will fit your Corolla 4wd, you are welcome to it.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Thanks Jony - thats really good of you, mines in at the mechanics right now I ended up getting a reconditioned one for $390 swap but apparantly the mechanics are having trouble getting mine out of my car. yikes.!