3rd / 4th gear woes

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: 3rd / 4th gear woes

Post by SirFoxx »

xirdneh wrote:is it done?
It is! I just got it all back together today. Tranmission works with no problems! Everything is now back to normal, and hasnt blown up (yet lol). I appreciate all of the help xirdneh!
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what did you find caused the shifting problem?

Also, there is a few things you can try to lower the oil consumption: First find and correct all leaks, than try a good Seafoam oil treatment (cleans out sludge that can build up behind the rings, sometimes helps), than try "Restore" in the oil, I find it works best if you add it to the oil right when you get on the road for a longer trip (it tends to settle out of the oil). Some here on the forum have found a bad oil burner will reduce smoke and oil consumption after several Seafoam oil treatments. worth a try, both seafoam and Restore will only cost about $20, and much easier than a ring job.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Petros wrote:what did you find caused the shifting problem?

Also, there is a few things you can try to lower the oil consumption: First find and correct all leaks, than try a good Seafoam oil treatment (cleans out sludge that can build up behind the rings, sometimes helps), than try "Restore" in the oil, I find it works best if you add it to the oil right when you get on the road for a longer trip (it tends to settle out of the oil). Some here on the forum have found a bad oil burner will reduce smoke and oil consumption after several Seafoam oil treatments. worth a try, both seafoam and Restore will only cost about $20, and much easier than a ring job.
Guess I should post the solution, huh? xD . When I got into the housing with all the gears, the first thing that I immediately noticed was a bolt that was ready to fall out. Can ya guess what bolt it was, and where? Whats that? Did ya say its the bolt holding the shift fork to the shift shaft for 3rd and 4th gear? If so, thatd be correct! The bolt had backed out about 90% of the way, and the threads were messed up. The shift fork had grooves in the hole from the bolt threads from me pushing hard on the shifter.I replaced the bolt, put some thread locker on it, and reassembled it. After I got it ~80% back together, I noticed I had a spare C clip laying on the ground. I contacted xirdneh about it, and we couldnt figure out where it went. Since I got the tranny back in, I've worked it through all the gears, and everything works the way it should. I will say that if the tranny needs to come back off again, I may take it somewhere lol.

I will also look into those products. I am running some thinner oil in it right now, so I am going to change it out for some thicker oil. Any particular weight recommendations?

1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you talking engine oil? if you are burning oil, I would use 10w-40, might also ad some STP to it, the engine was designed to run on oil with those additives. The newer "low emissions" motor oil do not have the additives that are in STP, and could wear out the cam and lifters faster without it.

It may help the oil consumption as well. If you can find it straight 30 weight tends to burn less oil as well on older engines. do not use synthetic oil in the engine, it will just burn it faster, and it costs more too.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)