New Exhaust on 86 Wagon

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

New Exhaust on 86 Wagon

Post by kitchman »

Hello again, Need to replace both the muffler and the intermediate pipe. I observed that the intermediate pipe has a heat shield surrounding it, composed of two half sections. Would like to know how important it may be to reuse this shielding in the event that some of the shielding bolts snap off during removal? Looking for some guidance/recommendations for the replacement of the pipe and the muffler. Also wondering if anyone has found the OEM equivalent muffler in stainless steel?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: New Exhaust on 86 Wagon

Post by Petros »

I have never seen a muffler shop attempt to duplicate the heat shielding on the factory exhaust pipe, I have had several systems completely replaced, and never noticed any difference. the underside of the floor also has a heat shield attached to the floor, i see no reason for it, and never noticed a difference. It might if you live in a hot desert climate, mostly for the passenger's feet, further back the exhaust cools enough not to matter.

Any aftermarket muffler of about the right size will work fine. No reason to find OEM, just find a good aftermarket brand in stainless. I found a cool "performance" stainless muffler off a wrecked "ricer" civic at PicknPull, bought it for $6. Not as quiet as the original (which had long since rusted away), but works fine. Makes the Tercel "sound" faster too, to feed my imagination of what a powerful Tercel actually might be like.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks again, I have been looking at mufflers for this 86 wagon and the diagrams show them as looking very similar to what is on my 83 tercel hatchback, which has a short curved pipe and a flange/gasket on the input side which mates to a flange on the intermediate pipe. The muffler on the 86 wagon that needs replacement has no flange and the intermediate pipe appears to go directly into the input side of the muffler. Trying to find out what is correct for this wagon?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if you take it to a muffler shop, they can make it work. they seldom use the flange to mount them, but rather just weld them directly on to the pipe: simple and reliable. But it not as convenient for home repairs later.
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks again, I realize all of that, though I am wanting to know what the factory set up was for this 86 wagon. Did the intermediate pipe have a flange/gasket where it connects to the muffler or not. Just because the present pipe and muffler has no flange/gasket doesn't mean it is correct. The previous owner could have had a shop make as you suggest make some thing work, which is not my preference.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I think the service manual, available for free down load from this site (see the FAQ section), has a drawing of all the components of the exhaust system. It might show if it has flanges or not. Likely it is flanges with gaskets.

Knowing toyota, it would show each assembly as a single part and a part number. IOW, you could not just buy a muffler from the dealer, you would have to buy the muffler with the whole pipe and hangers attached. welding is not something the expect their dealer service techs to be doing. same thing for example with the drive shaft, if the u-joints go bad, you had to buy a whole new driveshaft since the dealer would not replace just the u-joint (but there are many independent repair shops that would do it, as well as home mechanics).
donnyre
My tercel:: 95 Tercel

Post by donnyre »

Try to check out magnaflow and borla for an aftermarket muffler. Will cost a bit more but they will sound really nice.