Temp gauge problems

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Nwtercel1

Temp gauge problems

Post by Nwtercel1 »

Not long after I start my car the temp gauge goes from cold and slowly builds all the way to hot

But it happens way to fast for the engine to even be warm yet

Also when I rock the car back and forth the gauge bounces up and down

Any ideas?
Nwtercel1

Re: Temp gauge problems

Post by Nwtercel1 »

I took it to a mechanic to confirm my theory of a temp sensor but they said it was a gauge problem

I am still not convinced
So I am looking for some ideas to considee
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if you unplug the wire from the temp sensor, and ground the wire directly, the gauge should go to the top. So either the sender is grounded, or the wire might be worn and chaffed and is grounding somewhere.

the temperature sender is the one on the front side of the head, next to the valve timing belt cover, near the coolant outlet. the one on the outlet itself is for the emissions control system.

It is pretty rare that the gauge goes bad (though it does happen). The sender is also reliable, but they do go bad occasionally. A used one from a wrecking yard is a good bet, though I do not think new ones are too costly, just make sure it is correct sender for this car.

First check for grounding on the sender wire, follow it all the way up to the gauge if possible.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I have seen gauge problems. It would climb as you say and if I tapped on the cluster it would drop back to normal.
Nwtercel1

Post by Nwtercel1 »

I will keep working on it and let you all know thanks for the input I was in the process of testing the sensor and the gauge and the wires that go into the sensor plug broke so I spliced them back together and didn't have time to continue to test

Then I thought in the meantime I would post in here for any additional ideas