Fuel pump installment

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
amcewen
My tercel:: 1984 Carib Sprinter (Tercel) 4wd wagon

Re: Fuel pump installment

Post by amcewen »

What you're seeing is the heat shield still on the old pump.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

amcewen wrote:What you're seeing is the heat shield still on the old pump.
Just for shits and giggles take a knife to that heat shield and see if you can pop the thick part off it's the isolator :oldgeek:
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Ha I tried! But even if it was the insulator, it's been on the heat shield, which I connected to the new pump and it's just not mounting to the engine flush. As if it's missing about 1/4 inch.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if the geometry on the pump is the same between the old and new one, the new one should bolt up. See if you can find any difference between them. All parts removed should be able to be reinstalled, if you can not, something is different. This is not a particularly difficult swap, something is missing or you are leaving something out that is important. We can not tell from here, only you can determine what is different and why it will not bolt back up.

there is nothing particularly critical on the pump operation, all it has to do is move the lever arm up and down to pump fuel to the carb. If the geometry is not the same you can either return the pump for the correct one, or alter it so it is the same by either requisitioning the lever by bending it enough to match the original, or try making a shim or spacer to get the lever to ride in the correct place on the cam lobe.

Inspect every part closely and carefully. Also, it occurred to me that there may be a pin or wire, or some kind of locking device in the new pump to keep it from moving during packing and shipping. That seems unlikely, but it is a possibility. The lever arm should move fairly easily by hand, and travel the full distance, and through the same arch. as the original.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

The lever on the new arm doesn't move easily. In fact I didn't think it moved at all until I put some real pressure on it then it traveled a bit, enough for me to hear the diaphragm and have air come out. Think the spring is just tight, so going to flex it a bit to try to get it to loosen up. Then think I can suck it in with the bolts. Also, this is a stupid question, but when you say turn the engine over to get the lobe at the lowest point, how do I do that?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

easiest way to change the engine position is to put it in 4th or 5 gear and push the car a few feet and watch the cam shaft position.

other way is to put a socket and big wrench handle on the bolt on the front pulley (much easier if you remove the spark plugs).
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

4th gear worked like a charm and it slid in! I'm just waiting an hr or so for the gasket sealant to dry a bit before I crank her up.
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Ok, she's running down the road good now, no hesitation, so the pump was definitely bad. Fuel filter is still only running 1/2 full so that seems odd.

After driving about 10 mins total I popped the hood. There was some black smoke coming from under the carb, just thought it might be dripped oil or fuel burning off. The top radiator hose has also swelled a bit and has a slow leak near the connection to the engine (see pic) . It's super hot to the touch so I'm waiting for it to cool off before trying to tighten up the connection. But does seem like there's a lot of pressure in there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if your upper radiator hose looks bad at all, replace it. not worth the risk, the upper hose has all the heat and pressure on it (lower hose actually is on the vacuum side of the pump). I have seen old but not bad looking upper hoses just suddenly blow on a hot day running down the freeway, completely melted the engine down. Had to replace the whole engine. would have been a simple change before it blew.

swelling of the hose means the internal chord is breaking down, allowing to swell. It is only a matter of time before it lets go.

Watch your fuel filter while it is running, if you see air bubbles in it, it means there is a leaky line up stream of the filter. Otherwise the trapped air may slowly work its way out on its own eventually.
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

You're the man, Petros. Thanks for all your help; I really appreciate it!
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

I feel as though there's an air leak somewhere. The idle sounds way better than before, but there's still a random skip in there when it's idling and when I accelerate that kicks the power down a bit. So many old hoses on this thing. There's gotta be more than one vacuum line leaking. Most of the small ones don't have clamps at the end.

Oh and I'll replace the radiator hose asap.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is not unusal to have a number of small leaks on a vac system with this many hoses and components. check each vac line using the vac diagram for correct routing to each end, and that each one is tight without leaks. than check each one of the vac components, as well as all the gaskets around the carb, intake manifold, etc. easiest to use a can of carb cleaner spray, and with it running (air clean off and vac lines to it capped off), spray puffs around the various components, gasket joints, hoses, base of carb, etc. when the engine speed changes when you puff the spray in a certain location, you found the source of the leak. btw, those small lines should not need clamps, if they are stiff and brittle either cut off the brittle end, or replace the vac line (most of it is 3mm or 1/8 vac line). if they are pliable and in good condition, it should make a snug seal on the nipple end. On my daily driver the larger vac line that goes from the base of the carb to the undeside of the air cleaner assembly kept falling off. It was not crack or brittle but just worn (after 30 plus years of use), so I used a zip-tie snugged down enough to hold it on but I could still slip if on and off.

Vacuum leaks a constant problem on these cars. One time I bought a running Tercel4wd sight-unseen for a great price, but needed a lot of repairs. the seller said it needed a carb rebuild. I checked all the vac lines and found seven leaks! several misrouted or just hanging unplugged. Once I corrected the leaks and vac line routing, adjusted the carb, it ran great. I never did rebuild the carb.

symptoms of a vac leak are fast but weak idle, often stalls out at low rpm particularly when driving off from a stop, and dieseling when you shut it off. come to think if it my current project car acts like this...time to give the fuel/vac system a detailed inspection.