Transmission Oil Change Question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
YoYoTercel
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4x4 SR5

Transmission Oil Change Question

Post by YoYoTercel »

So, just to be sure....is this the fill plug I should be filling the tranmission oil into. If I fill it through this plug (probably a 24mm), do I wait for it to overflow from this same plug....or some other plug? See arrow in black.

For the arrow in red....is this the bolt you turn 8 times? Also, do you undo this plug first and let old oil drain? Also, where are the other 2 plugs?

Just wanted to check before I undertake this. I don't want to unscrew the wrong bolt. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Transmission Oil Change Question

Post by marlinh »

No, those are incorrect. The fill plugs are on the driver's side of the transmission. The first one is just behind where the axle pops in. 24mm head bolt. The drains are at the very bottom of the trans. Same size bolt head. Please check this link.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11662&hilit=fill+gear+oil

I can't find the link with pictures.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

filler hole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

The 8 turn is 19mm
The fill 24mm or 15/16"
I usually fill at the hole shown in picture as " Filler Hole"
But lately I have been filling using the hole on driver side just behind front axle.
Car being level I pump about one gallon in and let sit for an hour (leaving fill hose in hole to keep oil from coming out)
After it settles I pump some more in and pull hose to let excess oil drain out.
Just make sure you get at least 1 full gallon in there.
A tranny drained of oil may not take full 1.1 gallon required because gears hang on to some oil. If tranny had been taken apart to be fixed it would take more oil.
I have noticed on some tercels that when tranny is low on oil the input bearing will make noise that goes away when clutch pedal is pushed down. Recently a tercel was only one quart low and it made noise. Adding one quart (topping off) made noise go away.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

Great! Thank you for all your help and clarification.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

YoYoTercel wrote:So, just to be sure....is this the fill plug I should be filling the tranmission oil into. If I fill it through this plug (probably a 24mm), do I wait for it to overflow from this same plug....or some other plug? See arrow in black.

For the arrow in red....is this the bolt you turn 8 times? Also, do you undo this plug first and let old oil drain? Also, where are the other 2 plugs?

Just wanted to check before I undertake this. I don't want to unscrew the wrong bolt. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Wow! Your transmission looks just like mine! :lol:

Nice photo. :wink:
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

Haha...you caught me. Yes, your photo was the only one with a clear view. Thank you in advance for "hijacking" your photo. We're all in this Tercel repair scene together. You have helped a newbie like me a lot.