Wiper Linkage Assembly - How To Fix This?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Wiper Linkage Assembly - How To Fix This?

Post by RootsandStars »

I have managed to render my wipers unusable with record snow fall and below zero temps :roll: From what I understand the 'wiper arm link' has popped out of the 'fixing circlip' which seems to be deteriorated. I may have parts available 50 miles away (driving with no wipers), but do I really have to take the entire wiper assembly apart to fix such a small piece? How would you pull the whole linkage arm assembly out, there seems to be no room to pull it out... unless you bend the assembly? Can anyone help me with suggestions on how to fix this seemingly simple repair? Does anyone have spare parts to sell and ship to me? Any help is greatly appreciated.
~ Danielle ~
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Re: Wiper Linkage Assembly - How To Fix This?

Post by RootsandStars »

Here are a few things I found, does anyone know if these will work as replacements? I have copied and pated the links, not sure how to add the links with pictures yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-92-93-94-95- ... 0318116185
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Hilux-4R ... wz&vxp=mtr
~ Danielle ~
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

These links may help:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8585&hilit=wiper+linkage+bushing
Check this out - ADV or AZ or O'R or Pep Boys prob carry most Dorman items or can get quickly: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-49447-Win ... B000IWFPIW
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
loess
Advanced Member

Post by loess »

I just went through this same scenario last week. The thread that Tom linked to above was very helpful in getting it fixed. Did you hear a "thunk" just before the wipers quit working? If so, that was the ball joint that's attached to the wiper motor slipping out of the wiper arm's bushing and rubber boot.

You shouldn't need to remove the entire arm from inside of the cowl (and you really don't need to remove the hood either). First remove the wiper arms (10mm bolts, some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench might help if they haven't been removed in a long time). Then remove the cowl. It is held on the bottom edge by six screws and a rubber gasket that sits underneath and lines up with the screw holes, and by a couple of plastic clips on the top side where it meets up with the windshield seal. Pop the hood and unbolt the wiper motor from the firewall on the passenger side, revealing a hole. You can then maneuver the end of the wiper arm through that hole and inspect the plastic bushing and rubber boot. If it's intact, simply press the ball joint back into the rubber boot. While you are at it, re-lube the boot with a PTFE/plastic compatible lube (LaBelle #106 was mentioned in the other thread; I used Abu-Garcia fishing reel lube). If the bushing is not intact, see Tom's Amazon link -- one of those has got to work.
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

I wonder how this turned out for the original poster. I went through the same problem a couple years ago and I see ARCHINSTL posted a link to my documented repair procedure. I wasn't able to find a new replacement part but I improvised an effective retainer for the old bushing, which has worked OK since.