Reman BS!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Reman BS!

Post by BaileySims »

Let's get a game going here. First one to guess the problem will win a one dollar bill!

Out if nowhere today, I started to have issues with the starter. When you turn the key to start it up, the starter will turn all damn day even if you back the key off and even take it out of the ignition. I do believe I have isolated the problem and have purchased it as well. I'll know of it is the problem as soon as it gets in. What do you guys think?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Re: Reman BS!

Post by Jonymoto »

The starter solenoid is stuffed.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Remove the small wire from the starter while it's cranking- if it continues to crank, the problem HAS to be the starter (a re-man unit I assume from the name of the thread.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

not worth wasting money on any reman. Many years ago, when I was in collage, they used to be a good deal and reliable, but now they are not cheaper enough to make the risk worth it. My personal experience is about 50 percent failure rate, sometimes higher. Not worth it, too much effort to remove and replace, than do it again and take it back to the store for another one.

More than a few times I have either bought, or helped another forum member diagnose a problem on their T4wd, and it turns out to be a remanufacture distributor, carb or similar item. The "fix" is to put the old part back.

That is why it is important to ALWAYS diagnose the problem before you try and fix it. In these cases their "new" (reman) parts just created another problem, on top of the old one.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Bendex spring :oldgeek:
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Ignition switch contact assembly is faulty oo a wire is grounding out causing the starter to stay engaged.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Jonymoto wrote:The starter solenoid is stuffed.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
oldfaithful wrote:Ignition switch contact assembly is faulty oo a wire is grounding out causing the starter to stay engaged.
This was my first thought as well. After a bunch of probing and continuity checks, I have eliminated that out of the question.
Gottolovem wrote:Bendex spring :oldgeek:
I would assume this is okay. With the key to the start position it will engage the flywheel, but when backed off, it disengaged and just keeps spinning the starter.
Petros wrote:not worth wasting money on any reman. Many years ago, when I was in collage, they used to be a good deal and reliable, but now they are not cheaper enough to make the risk worth it. My personal experience is about 50 percent failure rate, sometimes higher. Not worth it, too much effort to remove and replace, than do it again and take it back to the store for another one.

More than a few times I have either bought, or helped another forum member diagnose a problem on their T4wd, and it turns out to be a remanufacture distributor, carb or similar item. The "fix" is to put the old part back.

That is why it is important to ALWAYS diagnose the problem before you try and fix it. In these cases their "new" (reman) parts just created another problem, on top of the old one.
I agree with all this 100% . Sucks that it happened to be this time of year (christmas) and I have a large family, so that's where all my money is going. I just bought a starter solenoid from rock auto for 9.50$ and this is most definitely just a temporary fix. As long as it will last until I can buy myself a daily driver next year, I will be okay.
rer233 wrote:Remove the small wire from the starter while it's cranking- if it continues to crank, the problem HAS to be the starter (a re-man unit I assume from the name of the thread.)
I probably should have picked a better title for this thread. Haha.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Hope you have the direct drive starter and not the gear reduction type- if not, the RA solenoid's not gonna work. BTW- i've had probably 11 Terc wagons and ALL of 'em have had gear reduction starters.

Good Luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Hi BaileySims - It will cost more than a $ to send me the $ prize as I'm located downunder. So have 1/4 pint of a beer on me for Christmas (I don't know what a pint costs in the US - I assume they are sold in pints overthere - here they are sold in pots, pony, schooner depending what states you are in.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I also will no longer buy re manufactured starters or alternators. I either take them a local place that rebuilds them, or more often rebuild them myself. I just don't have the special tool to remove the alternator rotor from the housing if I need to replace the bearings.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Due to a bunch of unfortunate circumstances, (water heater at home decided to blow up amongst other things) I was forced to buy a reman. I think next on the list is to scavenge the junkyard for oem replacements and have them rebuilt for future use. I hated to have bought the reman starter but I had no other options. :/ damn you, old house.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have found that an old used factory starter from the wrecking yard is more durable and reliable than a remanufactured starter. cheaper too. so if you want to run only OEM factory parts on a budget, used ones are better than rebuilt ones.

when ever the local self service wrecking yards have half off sales on parts, I will grab a carb, starter, alternator, distributors, etc from old toyotas as spares. Particularly have a spare distributor assembly around is a handy diagnostic test, if you suspect something wrong in the alternator it only takes a few min. to swap it out and test drive it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)