Drain trans fluid before removing axles?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Drain trans fluid before removing axles?

Post by Hiro »

I read the FSM and searched on the forum. If I was going to remove the old factory axles that are beyond worn and replace them with new units. Will I have to drain the transmission first? Some cars the trans fluid will spill, but I've had others where removing the trans fluid wasn't necessary.

Please clarify. Thanks!
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Drain trans fluid before removing axles?

Post by teranfirbt »

I've had good luck jacking up one side at a time when removing axles, both front and rear.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have never drained the fluid to change the axles. Sometimes if I do not get the front high enough it will drip a bit out. But not enough to worry about, if so just top it up from the filler plug on the side of the front diff.

I assume you are asking about the front axles, the rear axles can be changed without worry about diff lube coming out too, as long as it is reasonably level.

BTW, I would not change the axle unless it has obvious problems, sometimes they last twice as long as others, even of the same brand (I guess it is the luck of the draw). Only change it if there is either too much rotational play (where you can feel it in a turn), or the boots are torn.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Post by Hiro »

I'm all for rebuilding old axles whenever possible, especially if there's not wear and it's just a torn boot kind of situation. Unfortunately, there's a LOT of clicking and popping going on with both front axles. Just ordered new axle seals (forgot about those). Hopefully next weekend the tercel will have new axles on her... Thanks :)
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)