Big electrical problem, won't start :(

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Chirpbark
My tercel:: 1985 4WD

Big electrical problem, won't start :(

Post by Chirpbark »

So I let my friend drive my 85 Tercel to work today, and now apparently Nothing works, but the headlights, when connected to someone else's battery. He thinks it might be a corroded wire. I've been driving less than once a week lately, so it sits for a while. I have to drive back to Portland tonight though. Any ideas please?
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Re: Big electrical problem, won't start :(

Post by atoyta »

Check your fuses.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

If it won't do anything at all, there's a single wire with a connecter that goes from the battery to the fuse box. Mine had corroded away and left me stranded at a mechanic shop. Luckily I had some extra wire and electrical tape and fixed it on the spot.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

first take off both battery terminals and clean them with the wire brush designed for it, it has a "cup" on one side and a short fat bottle brush on the other to do both inside and out side. for some reason these always seem to corrode worse in the winter, perhaps because of higher demand. Usually this is the cause.

if no joy, next check all of your connections between battery terminals and other end of each, one is ground on car body, and the others goes to the starter.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Chirpbark
My tercel:: 1985 4WD

Post by Chirpbark »

I got new fuses and relays, still not working. Found out my friend accidentally had the cables reversed when he tried jump starting the car earlier, which can apparently fry a lot of things :( What is certain is that the cabin fuse box isn't getting any power. The wire connecting the battery to the engine fuse box wasn't in the best shape either, but doesn't seem to be the problem. Is it possible a wire or relay to the interior fuse box is fried?
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

There are 2 fusible links off the battery & from that wire to the ignition circuit, they usually melt the wire coating when they go. Both in the engine compartment. There is an ignition relay in the passenger compartment (I believe) also there are a couple circuit breakers in the fuse block but I don't remember if they are associated with the ignition system. Sorry, been to long. It sounds like the problem is in the ignition circuit as that leg comes off of the wire going to the headlights which you said worked. Double check the wiring to the fuse box in the engine compartment, it may have fried something there that is not easy to see.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

If you have a volt meter, check the voltage on the battery. Maybe it's too low. Anything under 11 volts or so is basically dead. I don't know what on these cars can be damaged by reversed polarity of the battery. Maybe the distributor igniter, voltage regulator and the emissions computer (if your model has one)? I don't think it would damage lights, starter, windshield wipers...