headlights go out after 30 seconds

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
elitesrock2
My tercel:: 84 4wd

headlights go out after 30 seconds

Post by elitesrock2 »

losing high and low beams after around 30 seconds of being on. drivers side blinks and goes out then pass side. any ideas? could it be connected to my issue with my brake and charge light being on even though the alternator is producing power
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: headlights go out after 30 seconds

Post by Petros »

if you turn off the light switch, and than turn it back on, does the light come back on? sounds like a marginal connection, gets hot and than disengages. first think I would do is check the grounds, and all the connections (pull them a part and check for corrosion, perhaps put some LPS-1 in it). you might have to pull the multi-light switch off the column and take it a part and clean the contacts, they also might be heating up because of corrosion or pitting, and than making it arc and go off.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: headlights go out after 30 seconds

Post by helipilot77 »

Toyota used undersized wire gauges for the high amperage demands of today's headlights. They can overheat after years of slow corrosion deteriorates the contacts. Melted insulation is usually the indicator. If it is inside a switch of connector a black stain will usually be found.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]