Resetting Odometer Reading

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Resetting Odometer Reading

Post by Jonymoto »

I've bought an instrument cluster for my dlx T4 from a wrecker in another state. It is from an SR5 model and is fitted with a tacho. I'll be receiving it in a couple of days. Can someone tell me if it is possible to reset the odometer reading to match the mileage that my car has covered, please?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Resetting Odometer Reading

Post by Petros »

they are made to be tamper proof,

There may be a way to take it apart and reset the numbers to match your old one. I took my apart when I switched instrument clusters, looked at it and thought the risk of damaging it was too great and just left it. I made a note of the difference in miles and just keep it in the ash tray, could also write it on the side of the cluster. I did not want to attempt to try it. If the replacement has lower miles, you can perhaps put a drill on it and spin it up until it matches (may take a while though).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks Petros. I thought that would be the case, but I think I read somewhere on this site where someone said it is possible to alter the numbers. I'm not keen to take it apart as if memory serve me right it's a sealed unit.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

welcome back Jony! I have heard of some cars where you could replace the odometer unit with one out of another car. I wonder if you can take your original odometer out of your old instruments and put it in the new one? does anyone know about this?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

BTW. I've been having naughty thoughts about buying this http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kapunda/ ... 1123740099 as my parents are in Adelaide. hmmm
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The DLX and SR5 use different clusters and different odometer units.

I tried resetting the mileage on one, you'd basically have to cut off tabs and remelt them together, and even when I tried to do that, I couldn't get the numbers to change all that well.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mattel wrote:BTW. I've been having naughty thoughts about buying this http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kapunda/ ... 1123740099 as my parents are in Adelaide. hmmm
WOW! So clean and with all of the bells and whistles, including the luggage cover.
950AUD = 734USD = :shock: OMG :shock:
I wonder why no mileage is listed?
Amazing what is available when no snow/salt need be considered ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

irowiki wrote:I tried resetting the mileage on one, you'd basically have to cut off tabs and remelt them together, and even when I tried to do that, I couldn't get the numbers to change all that well.
that is what I recall, the odo unit is in a plastic housing melted closed. I thought about cutting it open and than super gluing it back together, but the complex mechanism (like a clock), looked like once the case was popped open would fall apart. It would just ruin the odo. There might be a way of reassembling it with all the correct numbers showing, but I decided it was not worth that much effort nor the risk of ruining it (which would likely happen consider the plastic parts are all 30+ years old, brittle, and designed to prevent such "tampering").
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

I've reset mileage twice, with success, when upgrading to SR5 tach clusters.
The base models have the tach wiring (with no tach), the connectors are the same.
One I did very recently, so I remember it well:

The instrument cluster opens up easily,
removing screws and prying / releasing the plastic snap tabs around the front edges,
and unscrewing the mileage reset knob from it's stick.
Nothing will break if careful, it snaps back together.
Once open, unscrew the odometer/speed unit from the back side of the circuit board.
Keep track of which one has the wire harness under the screw to reassemble.
Pull the speed needle off, then the front plate, held by the 2 tiny screws.
Note the position of the stop tabs on the number wheels for proper alignment at reassembly.
Do they straddle, or are they in front of or behind the framework...remember this, I don't.
Remove the number spindle by melting the plastic tabs on each end, I used a soldering iron.
Now the numbers are free to spin Willy Nelly to wherever.
Reattach by remelting 'soldering' the remaining plastic tabs, but if that's not sufficient,
use plastic dabs from a Harbor Freight hot glue gun, or epoxy glue.
The center spindle does NOT need to spin, the wheels spin ON it....it's ok to glue it's ends.
Make sure spindle properly positioned deep enough to engage the gear on the 10'ths wheel.
I had to take one apart again because I messed this up, no miles movement as result.
Make sure the stop tabs on each wheel are properly 'positioned' against the metal frame,
and the numbers show centered straight through the front plate, before making the final glue attachment.

Test all the indicator lights while your'e at it!
I replaced all the green rubber-ed background lights with clear bulbs,
what a difference, I love how bright that makes it.
If any of you want my green ones let me know, I saved them.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Mattel, I saw that Tercel on Gumtree too. Looks like a good buy. I would've bought it myself if it was in Melbourne.
Thanks Mrdance - I'm encouraged by your advice. The new cluster has only 154,000Kms on it. Mine has almost 310,000kms. If I find it too hard I could probably connect the speedo cable to a hand drill or a small high speed motor and advance the numbers without buggering up the little gears. Maybe I could get it to 160,000 to make it a nice round figure to remember the difference (of 150,000).
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I agree with mrd with one exception- rather than melting the plastic, I used a Dremmel Tool to carefully grind away the melted plastic retaining tabs (I was leery of doing irreparable damage with a solder gun.) I then re-attached the replacement odometer drum with a couple dabs of J B Weld. Been working fine for over a year now.

Good Luck- hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks mrd & rer233. One more question - is the loose cable shown in the attached photo the one that connects to the distributor for the Tacho on the SR5?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the tach wire is in the same connector (a round one with two contacts) as the power supply to the distributor, it is already present on all models of TErcels. You do not need to run a new wire to the cluster, it is already built into the large cluster connector. when you install the new cluster, including the large electrical connector, the tach should work.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

The SR5 cluster arrived on Friday. Unfortunately I'm sending it back for a refund because the auto wrecker posted it in bubble wrap and no carton for protection and it was damaged on arrival.

Petros, on my dlx, there's no tacho wire connected to my distributor. But I do have an unconnected wire as shown in the previous photo (with green plug). Is this the one that would normally be connected to the dizzy?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Jony, That Tercel at centre road wreckers is an sr5.
Petros, Australian distributors are different to the USA ones. ours came with points but most people change to electronic.