Anyone recognize this?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jaydee911
My tercel:: 87 t4wd

Anyone recognize this?

Post by jaydee911 »

I was changing my trans oil and I noticed this was unplugged. Curios to know what it's for if anything. Located above drain plug on trans.Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87 tercel wagon
87 toyota pick up 4" on 33s flat bed
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Anyone recognize this?

Post by helipilot77 »

It is either for the 4wd indicator or for the back-up lights.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

helipilot77 wrote:It is either for the 4wd indicator or for the back-up lights.
yep :oldgeek:
jaydee911

Post by jaydee911 »

Ahh I was wondering why when I engaged 4wd no dash light came on. And my backup light it working so that must be the case. Thanks guys. Really glad I found this forum after recently picking up this beauty ;)
87 tercel wagon
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there are three contact switches on the '87 Tercel4wd: back up lights, 4wd indicator, and "extra low" (EL) indicator on the dash. If you see no 4wd indication on the dash that one is likely it, but you will need to also check that the bulb is good, it could be the EL light too.

You will not harm anything to ignore it, just double check the 4wd when ever you drive onto pavement. for the life of me I can not see the purpose of the EL light, as if the driver would not notice they are in a granny gear. the '83-84 years do not have an EL indicator, and I never felt I needed one.

My parking brake light went out some time ago, and I have driven off several times with the parking brake on, making the rear brakes really hot. I need to track down why, might be light, or the switch, either way, the dash lights on a car this old often burn out (I have 380k miles on it).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Good to hear that you were changing your trans oil. And also that you were looking around for anything out of place.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

BTW Jaydee,

welcome to the forum, I just notice this was your first posting. good to have you on board. where are you located?

Also, make sure you get all 4.1 Liters of gear oil in the diff/trans/transfer case housing. I once wrecked a good transmission thinking I had it full based on the gear oil spilling out of the inlet hole, only to find I trashed the trans a few months later...it had less than 2 quarts in it.
jaydee911

Post by jaydee911 »

Petros! My man. Thanks again eh!
I'm located in BC Canada near Vancouver.

I will double check trans oil. I kept track of how much was going in. Had maybe 100 ml come out when I removed the hose. Having more then one filler hole is a new concept for me.

I had no idea there was an el dash light, nore did I know of the 4wd indicator untell reading up on these posts thanks for that. Will find a
87 tercel wagon
jaydee911

Post by jaydee911 »

I have an 87 toyota pick up the had no e break light. Smoked my clutch because of it :(
Finaly got the dash apart and found out the previous owners wiring was hack and had to re do it. Fixed a bunch of issues because of that. So far doesn't seem like anyone has messed woth the interior still have the tape player and stock (blown) speakers in there... ahah
87 tercel wagon
jaydee911

Post by jaydee911 »

Ok so 1st pick is engine bay. Few plugs there that aren't hooked up. One is kind am hard to see. Squarish plug above oil filter.

2nd photo is the same as my original post. Just wondering what to do to get the 4wd indicator working. Don't need it but would not mind having it fixed hah.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87 tercel wagon
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the first picture appears to be one of the three connectors for either the back up light, EL indicator, or 4wd indicator on the trans (hard to tell which in this photo).

the green one at the front of the engine goes on the sensor on the coolant outlet on the front of the head (passenger's side), it is for the emissions control system. It is next to the TVSV, that thermal vacuum switch device with all the vac lines coming off of it.