Replacing welded-on muffler despite unsolved gas smell

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Replacing welded-on muffler despite unsolved gas smell

Post by helipilot77 »

I think there is an access panel. The lines are underneath the rear cargo area. Pull up the carpet that covers the spare tire. There should be a panel.

. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

stanrob wrote:Thank you Petros and Archinstl, I'll give it a go. Archinstl, how do I get at those rubber hoses?
I removed the RR wheel and jacked up the car, thereby giving access. It IS cramped, but quite doable.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

If the vent line is leaking you will not see any wet spots but it will stink of fuel.
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

A quick update: the weather has begun closing in hard and my age is showing, slowing this project to less than turtle speed. I had already mentioned failed muffler and a hole in muffler feed pipe. That actually got dramatically worse as I drove home the last time. The entire exhaust system collapsed, including all but one of the welded supports. The exhaust is open right out from the engine pipe. Pretty impressive noise! You'd better believe I'll never go back to the exhaust shop that put that all together about 40 months back. The gas smell persists even weeks after dry-docking my beautiful companion. The rear wheel was stuck on, but I think I've got it loose now, aiming to reach up for the suspect hoses. I went with a connected friend to the local auction seeking a post-2000 Corolla, got beat on two bids, and expect to go back next week. If Petros brings a fixed-up T4wd, the Corolla is resellable or he can have it.

P.S. Somebody bid $3351.99 for that 83T4wd in Vermont and it still didn't meet cabinguyvt's reserve!
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

Another update, and confession, and apology: All along, I've insisted that what's leaking is not gasoline, but only vapor. Evidently I was wrong from the beginning. The evidence: After roughly three months of non-use, the gas indicator went down from 1/3 tank to the empty mark. Now when I try to start the engine, it doesn't fire at all. The smell is still in the passenger compartment, but substantially abated. My prior insistence was based on the absence of wet spots anywhere. Apparently that doesn't matter. Please accept my apology for dragging you all into a wild goose chase. Meanwhile, Petros DID bring a fixed-up T4D, bless his heart. Well, it needs a little more fixing, but it's time to be optimistic for a change.