Front wheel Too far backwards

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
TercelCars5
My tercel:: 82.83.84.84.84.85

Front wheel Too far backwards

Post by TercelCars5 »

Hello all, I am not really new to the forum... But I have never posted anything. I like to keep to myself. But this time, I can not find any info on this site (maybe I did not use the right words when searching).

3 of my Tercel's have larger tires, 205/75/14. I love the way the 14's handle. Most of my driving is on the freeway so I think I get better benefit than driving around town.

I just installed a set on one of my 1983's & the passenger front tire is WAY to far toward the rear of the car, I barely bump the brake and it rubs on the body. I let off the throttle too fast & same thing happens.

I have 14's on my 85 & on one of my 84's. Never had any problems with them.

The car that has the problem (Front Passenger) has new front sway bar mount and end bushings, new ball joints, new control arm bushings.

Front struts bad, axles ok, tie rods ok.

Any Idea why the wheel is so far back? No accidents that I know of on this car.

One picture shows a 14 wheel on another car I have and it is centered, the other 2 pic (of the blue car) show my problem.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Front wheel Too far backwards

Post by rer233 »

Is the stiffener bar that runs from the back of the front subframe back to the unibody bent (bowed?) If so, the frame rail is probably bent- you should be able to see kinks just forward of the firewall from under the car. Had the same problem with my "good" '87. BYW, 205's are really big tires for a stock suspension- biggest I've gone is 195/70, but I agree, 14's are MUCH better than the paltry 13's.

Good Luck, and welcome aboard. Where are you located?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
TercelCars5

Post by TercelCars5 »

Everything looks fine under there, but the bar is broken at the rear (body) mount. I don't see any issues with the body or frame rails. I even had one 84 with a cracked body / frame rail that the tire wipped forward and backwards at over 35 mph, that was quite an issue. It is welded now and has no issues. I will have to get a better look tomorrow. But I am (might) pick up another T4wd tomorrow, so might be a day before I can really look.
The 205's are definitely pushing it, but I think they give the car perfect "lift" height. Just don't turn sharp, it rubs..
Thanks!

I am located in Utah an hour south of SLC.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

my right front tire went backwards after hitting a mud puddle that had a deep hidden hole in pavement
someone on this sight had this problem a while back
he modified the hole locations in the crossmember to move it forward, the tire assy follows it.
i plan to do this on my car someday
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have seen this exact problem on a Tercel that had struck a lane divider curb. It struck one side of the cross member, I cross measured the frame and it was square, only the cross member was pushed back on one side. I think if could be fixed by slackening the large vertical bolts that hold the cross member in place and pull on the one side (use a come-along type of hand winch or similar). Once the cross member is straight in the body re-tighten the bolts.

Verify the frame is still square, because if it is bent off center, it will need to be straightened. You criss-cross measure the front end clip to see if it is out of square, it is within 1/4" it is not a bent frame, but perhaps a dislocated cross member.

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

xirdneh wrote:my right front tire went backwards after hitting a mud puddle that had a deep hidden hole in pavement
someone on this sight had this problem a while back
he modified the hole locations in the crossmember to move it forward, the tire assy follows it.
i plan to do this on my car someday

That would be me. I'd try taking the right side stiffener bar off one of your other Tercs and see if it fits the car in question (bet it won't!)
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
TercelCars5

Post by TercelCars5 »

I loosened the bolts today on the cross member (all 4) & put on 2 ratchet straps to the outer end of the control arm and the tow hook. Tightened both as hard as I could. smacked the cross member on the back side and it "looked" good. I tightened the cross member bolts and loosened up the straps. Still rubs, but not as often. Still not good enough to drive.

I can tell that someone did weld on a bunch of front clip parts, did not see that yesterday. So there has been repair at some point. I think I will drill holes to relocate the cross member forward, but for now I will put the 13's back on and put the 14's on my other work car.

Just picked up an 87 DLX today, Standard, Trans input shaft is shot. Thinking about putting in my 1982 Datsun truck diesel engine, rear wheel drive only......
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

I elongated the holes in the subframe- I'd post the link, but I can't (too stupid!) Just do a search on "tack-welded washers" and it'll come up. Good Luck! (So now you have 6 Tercs? I've only got 5...)
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
TercelCars5

Post by TercelCars5 »

6 cars, I wish....

I have:

1 first gen 1982 Corolla-Tercel SR5
2 1983 SR5's
3 1984 SR5's
1 1984 Deluxe
1 1985 SR5
1 1986 SR5
1 1987 Deluxe (just got today)
1 1986 DLX Auto (now lives its life in my other cars.... RIP)

And the car that lots of you have been talking about some weeks ago. Remember the 1985 Sprinter Carib in Texas. It lives in my garage.

Go to: facebook.com/motovatedtx
Scroll down just below half way & you will see my Carib, Best car I have ever owned, Well I really loved my 1980 Toyota Corona Wagon.

That's What Toyota's I own. You don't want to know what "non" Toyota's I have...
TercelCars5

Post by TercelCars5 »

You are a genius Rer233. I will just lower the sub frame & widen the holes to slide it forward to put The wheel where it should be, much easier than drilling holes in the frame rails trying to make them line up.
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Like I said before, a man just can't have enough Toyotas!!! Especailly T-4wds
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Def. no genius (if so, I could post links- right?) Just experienced- been working on these cars pretty much since their inception and bought my first one in 1994. Haven't bought any other type car since- when you find something that works you stick with it.

Nice to meet another fellow Toyota bigot (there's plenty of us here.) The people here are real helpful and knowledgeable- don't think there's a problem you could have with these cars that someone hasn't encountered and would be eager to help out.

Good Luck!
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
TercelCars5

Post by TercelCars5 »

I just put the 13's back on and put the 14's on my other work car. Works great. I think I will enlarge the sub frame mount holes in the future, but for now I have 3 cars with 14's on them, so I am not worried about it. It plugs along very nicely at 85 if need be.

So I guess I have 3 cars with accident history. I thought only 2 of them had been damaged at some point.