Asian A3 Carburetor

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Asian A3 Carburetor

Post by ARCHINSTL »

FarmerJack wrote:Attn: Tom M. at ARCHINSTL.
Tom:
However, unless you are in the auto repair business, and having myself once lived in Kirkwood, I realize that the neighbors would not appreciate having the old clunker around.
:lol: Boy, Howdy! :lol:
My 80-year old house has no garage and, when I got Goldie in '05 (and she has ZERO rust and NO peeling clear coat), it took me from late May to early December to get her emissions and driveability sorted out, so she was naturally unlicensed (at the time, old crocks in the STL area still had to pass an emissions inspection). Several of the noobs in their McMansions kvetched to Kirkwood and I had a dickens of a time with city inspectors. Again, mind that she looked as good in '05 as she looks now, which is say 99.99% new-ish (see attachment).

However, the offer still stands as far as my looking at your car and offering suggestions (and maybe even doing a little hands-on), should you decide to bring it to STL.
Tom M.
GoldieRF.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
FarmerJack
My tercel:: 1987 SR5

Post by FarmerJack »

Petros:

Thanks for your input. My mechanic probably did a good job in rebuilding the carb. However, as you say, he probably did not understand the intricacies of the A3 design and did not get some of the various vacuum lines, etc. connected up correctly. I will do as you suggest and download the Tercel manual and try to study and understand the theory & logic of the carburetor design and then look for possible causes of the problem. Basically, the problem seems to be that a consistent flow of fuel is not getting to the engine. May take me some time, but will let you know of the results.

Farmer Jack
FarmerJack

Post by FarmerJack »

Petros:

Where can I get a factory repair manual which covers the A3 carburetor?

FarmerJack
FarmerJack

Post by FarmerJack »

ARCHINSTLOUIS:

I just saw your note today October 26th. Thanks again for your offer. If I can come up with a service manual, I will try to tinker a bit and see if I can get the car running better.

FarmerJack
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is an '85 factory service manual available for free down load from this forum. It should be the same as your '87. you should be able to find the link over in the FAQ section.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
FarmerJack

Post by FarmerJack »

I finally did bite the bullet and installed a new fuel filter and while in there replaced a cracked vacuum hose; the 2nd one down on the TVSV. The manual shows it as "M", which apparently operates the choke opener diaphragm. The result was that the engine decided to run, albeit at a rather high RPM. Fiddled with the idle & fast idle screws and got the RPM down to a fairly steady 1200 to 1300 RPM. Ran at that speed for probably 30 to 45 minutes. I was thinking of driving it around but noticed that a few drops of fuel were dropping down from the carb. Looks like it is coming from the sight glass. Being concerned about having a fire, I decided to shut the engine down and let it cool off. However, I just noticed a recent post of a couple weeks ago saying that small fuel leaks from the carb might be quite common.

I noticed that there is a larger diameter vacuum hose coming up from the right side of base of the carb which is capped off. It appears to be what they call an HIC valve. Not sure what this does.

I looked around for other cracked vacuum tubing but could not find any.

Am somewhat encouraged that I may yet get this old buggy running.

FarmerJack
FarmerJack

Post by FarmerJack »

Thanks to encouragement from ARCHINSTL and Petros, I did persevere and put in a new fuel filter and replaced one cracked vacuum line and got the engine running. Still idles too fast at about 1200 RPM, so I need to work on that . Now I see a more pressing problem and this is that gasoline appears to be slowly dripping from something on the carburetor which looks like a sight glass. Perhaps this part can be removed and an o-ring be replaced? Has anyone run into this problem?

FarmerJack
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I never seen a leak there but o ring is easy to replace.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have never seen a leak there either. It is possible, but make sure that is what is actually leaking, and it is not dripping down from some other leak on the carb.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
FarmerJack

Post by FarmerJack »

Thanks for the comments. As the weather gets a little warmer and I can work outside, I will again check the source of the carburetor fuel dripping. Also, I will adjust the fast idle screw as shown in the instruction manual. The car has only about 115,000 miles on it and the engine and transmission seem to be good, so it would be a shame to not pursue a little further on getting it running well. Would be very useful on our hilly & woody Ozark farm.

Farmer Jack