alternator or voltage regulator?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
elitesrock2
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Re: alternator or voltage regulator?

Post by elitesrock2 »

The charge fuse has no power going to it as well i have determined. that 7.5 amp fuse there. So what should i look at for the wiring then. i'm terrible at wiring.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

If the problem is in the wiring look for a broken wire or really fragile wires a broken wire would possibly be touching something and shorting it out fragile wires break inside leaving gaps causing low voltage to go through or no voltage at times depending on where the pinch is in the wiring also make sure all of your wiring is tight buttoned up and not loose loose wiring causes shorts as well make sure connections are all clean
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have also found that on old wire bundles, sometimes the insulation gets brittle and breaks off, if this happens on adjoining wires, it will short across on them.

Auto wiring is not so complicated, study the wire diagram for your car, specifically the charging system, find each of the contacts and follow them to the other end. Verify each connection, each contact is clean and solid. Usually with some systematic checking of the system, It will be obvious where the fault that is causing your problem is located.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
elitesrock2
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Post by elitesrock2 »

fixed it had a light bar into a fuse that popped and caused everything to not function
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Wow strange
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

good work tracking it down. which fuse was it?
Kiraliyev0511
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon

Post by Kiraliyev0511 »

I had similar issue. Replaced 3 alternators till NAPA guy had requested proof that alternator is bad. He asked me to find an alternator shop and bring back test results as a proof. My combined "hand brake"/"no voltage from alternator" alarm light was "ON". I started troubleshooting and found that "IGN"fuse in fuse panel on driver side (inside of the car) was burned. I realized that only pulling that fuse out and looking at it. Measuring resistance of the fuse while it sitting in panel gives me OK. Just to check if a purchased alternator is good (while car is running on the battery), you can connect a jumper wire from a positive side of the battery to IGN wire of the alternator and it will give you 14-15 volts right away. Then you can start to troubleshoot your wiring or fuses.