1985 Tercel 4WD exhaust and muffler price?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Barrett
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 4WD SR-5 Wagon. New cooling system and tons of other stuff. Daily driver

1985 Tercel 4WD exhaust and muffler price?

Post by Barrett »

Hiball I'm new as of an hour ago. ;-)

Been reading tons of fun and handy posts.

I just replaced water pump, radiator and cap, all hoses, all 3 belts (has AC But is a manual 5speed lol) thermostat,csoarkcplugs, wires, air filter, battery and a few misc odds and ends. Did all the work myself and my brother helped. Took a half day and just under 300.00 for everything. Not bad at all. Everything brand new. Woohoo!

Had all boxes checked, tranny, differential, and full service oil change and nothing needed a drain and refill even
So the only thing left ID like to do is new exhaust pipe and muffler. Not sure if catalytic converter is needing it or not but don't think so. What would be a fair price to pay to have this new exhaust pipe and muffler (and hangers where needed etc.) And maybe a new chrome tip on the end cost roughly for just a stock system? I don't want anything special or "performance enhancing" just the stock OEM style but new maybe from Meineke or similar? Just curious what is a fair price if anyone has recently had theirs done. After that I'm done for awhile. It's a winter car mostly but since it has AC (Thatbworks awesome BTW) I've been wanting and have been fixing it up as more if a daily driver and that's about all that's left it could really use/need.

Thank you.

Sorry for the novel but proud of myself for all the work I just did which would have cost a grand had a mechanic/ shop done it.

Thanks all! Glad to be in the forum. Fun stuff indeed.

Thanks
Lane
"Faslane". (Nickname)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: 1985 Tercel 4WD exhaust and muffler price?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Congrats on joining the Club, and glad you are learning!
One of (the many) great things about these cars is that they are easy to repair, as you have discovered. Plus, of course, all of the info that we have accumulated and posted on this site.

You mentioned that none of the "oil items" needed changing; unless you are positive of the last time time/mileage that they were filled - particularly the trans/diff - do it. Be certain to check the procedure on the trans/diff!

As far as the exhaust system goes - Bosal is NLA; I scored the last complete system in North America a few years ago. Note that I got the cat-to-back incl. attached muffler and Boy! was it a PITA to install! I don't think I'll ever have to replace it, but I would only buy it in pieces now - which is prob all that is available. And: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8883&p=64054&hilit=bosal#p64054
Get a front pipe as well - do it all now and you will have nothing to worry about for years. I reused the cat I had to install back in '05 to pass MO's (now-deleted for old crocks) emission tests.
Something I did that I do not regret and would strongly suggest - before installation, I sprayed the entire system twice (or was it thrice?) with Rust-Oleum Hi Temp 1200º (BBQ) paint and let it cure for a week or so between coats. The result, after almost 4 years of MO's winter weather is - ZERO RUST!
If nothing else, it saves getting rust flakes in your face later on - or in your eyes, as I sadly discovered back in '07 on the muffler-only replacement, which occasioned a visit to the ER Yes, I always wear safety glasses when under a vehicle, but this time a few errant flakes lodged in an eyebrow and migrated to an eye).
And - always - but always - use anti-seize on all exhaust flange bolts (pop for the SS ones, too!).

GREAT THREAD started by not-so-active member c-j (he includes part numbers, noting the 2WD is different from the 4WD), incl. the mods he had to make because of an incorrect part number: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9523&hilit=bosal

When installing the pipes, see: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8407&p=61421&hilit=bosal#p61421
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I replaced mine from the cat back last year. The pipe cost $60-$80 (I can't remember exactly, but I was surprised how little it cost for up here) in Canadian dollars,back when our dollars were about equal, and they gave the usual story about it being the last one in the country. The muffler was about $40 and the tip maybe $8 (but not chrome or anything). If your catalytic converter is still good I would definitely keep it installed. Other than pollution considerations, removing it makes the car very loud.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Welcome to the forum seems like your car is in good hands. Depending on the city you live in prices for exhaust will vary but they won't be too much
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Barrett
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 4WD SR-5 Wagon. New cooling system and tons of other stuff. Daily driver

Post by Barrett »

Thank you Tom! I was told by the previous owner he just had them all done so it was more to confirm they were and a trusted person at the lube shop ensures me they were. Nonrusted bolts, clean fluid etc. So I honestly do think I'm fine. I love the rustOleum idea. Genius.....I would like to perhaps use some rubber undercoating perhaps instead. Do you think that's be a good idea? A bit soendy but I think it would serve the same purpose and even quiet down a bit or road noise and add protection all at the same time perhaps...? I'm going to have the exhaust just done at a muffler Mart or somewhere. I don't have a way to lift it etc and not a job I want to take on to be quite honest lol. I just don't. A recent car accident (not my fault) has left me with back issues and physical therapy so I just can't do it myself unfortunately. Mark, thank you. I donalso think it won't cost too much and believe my C Converter is good. No signs telling me it's not. :-)

Thanks both of you. Great and fun thread. Tom, what did you mean by "buy/pop" for the SS ones?

Thank you
Lane
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

The prices I quoted were just for the parts from a local auto parts shop. I installed them myself. I think if I got the same work done at a muffler shop it would have cost me around $800.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Oooooo ouch! It may be waiting awhile then lol. It's not HORRIBLE or anything. Just thought if it was only 100-150.00 or sonId get it done but I'll have to pass for now. I can't do it and not paying that much. I had a V8 el Camino that cost under a couple hundred. Any idea why so soendy to do a little Toyota?
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I don't know what they would charge where you are. If you're in the US, it's probably much cheaper. I was guessing $800 based on the fact that shops usually double the cost of parts and then maybe 2 hours of labour, plus "shop fees", disposal fees, tax, parts like rubber hangers, etc.
Years ago I was quoted $400 to replace a muffler at one of those muffler shops. The wagon I bought came with an envelope of receipts for previous work done and he paid $400 to have a muffler replaced as well. If you do it yourself a muffler costs between $30 and $60 up here.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I just actually looked through those receipts and there were more exhaust jobs. One was for a muffler and "pipe" (I'm not sure which one). It cost $538. There was another receipt for "front pipe". That one was $282. The last one was for an exhaust pipe, muffler and a strut. That one was $827. These are all from over 10 years ago. I keep these old receipts from the previous owner to remind myself why I always do my own work.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Dayammmmm!! Lol. Ingot my el Camino from header all the way back and dual exhaust with chrome tips for like 180.00 I think. Weird it's so expensive...Do you have an idea why? Labor or parts? Seems like tubes if metal bent to spec already that just bolt.in wouldn't cost that much and labor doesn't seem all that much time-wise but I must be wrong. Lol. Hmmm...I should just call and get a quote and ask them I know but it's nowhere near "needing" it. Just thought it'd quiet it up a bit but it's not bad at all and would be a huge waste if that expensive but would have done it fir 150.00 or so. Maybe even the 200+ tax area just to never have to do it again ever but it can wait several more years. Maybe I better have it inspected. Perhaps a couple new sections and a couple hangars replaced would do most of it....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Lane - the "SS" was for "stainless steel" bolts for anything connected with the exhaust system. Exposed as they are, regular steel bolts will rust solid and sometimes will need to be cut off when the time comes for the next replacement. Stay with anti-seize however.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Oh! Gotcha! Definitely. .thank you! :-)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

Barrett wrote:Dayammmmm!! Lol. Ingot my el Camino from header all the way back and dual exhaust with chrome tips for like 180.00 I think. Weird it's so expensive...Do you have an idea why? Labor or parts? Seems like tubes if metal bent to spec already that just bolt.in wouldn't cost that much and labor doesn't seem all that much time-wise but I must be wrong.
The high cost compared to doing it yourself is probably a combination of labour and inflated parts. The first example I quoted was $180 for the pipe, $100 for the muffler, 2 hours of labour (back then maybe $80/hr). That's already at $440 and the extras like shop fees/taxes, etc haven't been factored in yet.
I think we just get gouged up here. Honestly though, If I owned an auto repair shop and had to buy/finance all the specialty tools, diagnostic tools, licencing fees, certification fees, insurance, lease on the property, vehicle lifts, employee wages....... and still want to make more than minimum wage myself, I'd have to charge $500 to replace sparkplugs and do $200 oil changes.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

YeahbI know shopsbare always way more but that seemed Very high when I know they used twice that on my ElCamino. I'm going to get an estimate for fun just to see on Monday. Now I'm just more curious than anything. Haha. Thanks bud!
Lane
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

When I had my old Celica exhaust done it cost me $250 with a nice Magnaflow muffler, but that was 10 years ago. Since then I've done all of my own exhaust work, and it still cost $150 or so the last time I did it (granted I did fully mandrel bent with a couple extra flanges for ease of maintenance...)
These days with material pricing being what it is I wouldn't expect much less than $300-$400 for a catback job, depending on area. Try and find a locally owned muffler joint, they're usually cheaper for custom type work than the big names.

What area are you in? If central Texas I'd be down to weld an exhaust together on a weekend, just buy material and chip in for weld gas and wire :)