Running issues

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Running issues

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Alrighty, here she is!

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

So that's two full throttle to the floors? Is the engine stone cold? Make sure nothing is binding the butterfly valve. Can you move it by hand? Check the choke breaker (orange circle) choke opener (yellow circle) and clean and lube the linkage (blue circle)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Yes sir, 2 full throttle to the floor and then an extra when I got under the hood just to make sure haha. The only way I can move it by hand is if I open the throttle a little bit. Once I open the throttle a little bit I can move it however I want. I'll check everything else tomorrow, its getting dark outside now, haha.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ok, well apparently I didn't let it cool down enough yesterday for the choke to close, I went out there a few minutes ago, tapped the throttle twice, choke was closed. Then I started her up, still no fast idle.... she automatically starts idling at 1000 rpms or so. I just set fast idle yesterday to 2800 rpms using the fsm method....what could be the problem? Maybe a vacuum line is ran wrong? Would that cause fast idle to not work?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

That's why I asked if it was "stone cold" :lol:

The fast idle linkage is all mechanical. The act of putting the throttle to the floor is supposed to close the choke and activate the fast idle.

How did you set it?

To be fair, out of the six tercels I've owned, fast idle has never worked right on any of them. I have it working mostly on my 83 but even then sometimes it does not.

When you are starting it after giving two full throttle presses are you giving it ANY gas?

Oh, yes, if the choke opener is getting vacuum right away that would mess with the fast idle. Try disconnecting and plugging that line when cold for a test.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ahhhh, I missed that haha.

I plugged the M port on the TVSV, closed the choke and started the car, then I turned the fast idle screw till correct rpms.

Mine used to work perfectly, until I rebuilt the engine, it hasn't worked right since then, which would give more evidence that I put a vacuum line in the wrong place...

After I start it my foot is completely off the gas, in retrospect I may need to see if the throttle cable may be just a little too tight? I don't think it is though.

And I'll try that maybe later on today or this weekend possibly.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Ok, well fast idle is working now, but I've got another problem thats really bothering now. When I'm driving at any speed, and lets say I'm at half throttle, when I ease into the throttle more or when I stomp on the peddle, the is a momentary hesitation, where it just completely cuts out for a half a second or so....Also if I'm going uphill at full throttle and I start easing off the throttle it also cut out/hesitates. It reminds me of a bad throttle position sensor that has dead spots only at certain throttle positions. I don't know what the cause of this could be, acceleration pump, power piston, or possibly vacuum leak? Anyone have any input or advice on where to start checking?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

My 83 does the same thing a little dead spot when he let off the gas at certain throttle positions

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Well dang, is there any fix for it, or any idea what it could be? It's gets very annoying haha
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i would take the carb apart and clean it again
blow it out with air too
i have rebuilt and/or cleaned a bunch of these carbs
i often have to do a do over
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

This is a carb that gets 30-33 MPG in the summer so I haven't wanted to mess with it :lol:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Alright, if it isn't raining tomorrow I'll probably rip it apart again :/ haha
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

irowiki wrote:This is a carb that gets 30-33 MPG in the summer so I haven't wanted to mess with it :lol:
That's freaking awesome. What a well-tuned machine she must be!
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

lucafusi wrote:
irowiki wrote:This is a carb that gets 30-33 MPG in the summer so I haven't wanted to mess with it :lol:
That's freaking awesome. What a well-tuned machine she must be!

YEs, and now her new owner gets to enjoy it!

It probably helped that I almost never went above 3K RPM if I could help it, and never above 4k unless it was an emergency.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k