steering rack - internal bushing?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: steering rack - internal bushing?

Post by jimcrazy »

had a chance today to put my rack bushing in, got it apart to find mine has a different bushing in it, it may be a rebuilt rack but it has a dry slide type bushing in it then incased in rubber, did not have time to make a puller to get it out so put it back together for now., after taking both tie-rod ends out of the knuckles and unscrewing the inter tie rod end you can turn the wheel enough to the left to get the rack rod in far enough to replace the bushing, no need to remove the pinion shaft. the 3 holes are there for the bushing to lock in to so the new one i have may fit right in after getting the old one out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ jim crazy: Did you ever install the steering rack bushings?
Can this be done with the rack in situ (just removing the tie rods)?
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

no i never got back to it.will try again this fall. the pic I took I just turned the wheel to the left slowly and kept checking it may even go further then showen. if the plastic split bushing was there you could pop it out and replace it
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

just remove the tie rod from knuckle on drivers side
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I just wanted to say that the rack from the red Tercel we have had rotational play inside the housing, that is the rack itself could turn about 20 degrees inside the rack housing. We replaced it and the bad rack is lying next to the red Tercel until I can get it back together. Is the rack possibly repairable? If it is, I can send it to someone if they need a rack and don't mind fixing it.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

must be a common problem. I also have problems with the inner rack joint bushings. Good luck mate. let us know how u get on :)