Losing power on hills?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
VINTAGE GRUMBLE

Losing power on hills?

Post by VINTAGE GRUMBLE »

Hello, i'm having trouble with my 3A powered Tercel losing power on hills (while 4wding) it will drive up them fine until you get stuck or have to back off, then it dies and wont start until its on the flat again. Is this a common problem? It drives fine in all other situations, but does this on hills every time. I think the carb is ok, and the pump seems to be ok, as it drives fine. Maybe a pick up issue in the tank?

Any help or info would be great!

Cheers, Thomas.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Losing power on hills?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Check the fuel filter first and if not recent, install a new one and try it. If the current one looks clogged, still try a new one and if the prob repeats - get another new filter and then investigate dropping the tank and having it professionally cleaned.
But - install the one used in vintage Corollas rather than the one "officially" for Tercs. It's at least the same size, but is usually $ cheaper.
The flow directions are reversed, so be aware of the little arrows on the ports.
See Petros' thread here: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... uel+filter+

Note that the price disparitry between Advance and Autozone is still the same.
AZ's price for its house brand - which I buy - is $7.99 for the Terc and $4.99 for the Cor. The numbers are the same as in Petros' thread.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like fuel filter partially blocked, try a new one as Tom suggests. Also, check your float level through the sight glass on the front of the carb.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

agreed with above. replace fuel filter, check float bowl level with the car on level ground. the fuel level should be between the two points.