Clicking noise when i 3rd and 4th gear and...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Clicking noise when i 3rd and 4th gear and...

Post by Petros »

BTW, the car does not hate you. It is a machine, it has no feelings for you one way or another. machines only do what their design allows them to do, or in this case, what the lack of maintenance has allowed to happen.

Always keep the fluids topped up and current per the recommendations, and it will run forever. If you treat it badly by not doing this maintenance, than it will fail. The only cause of this imagined "hatred" is your own lack of diligence on the mindless machine that depends on you to keep it running, in good repair and maintained. Do not become emotional about a piece of machinery, it will cause you to do things that are not in your best interest. Fix it or not, but do not be surprise when it fails when you drive it way past what it was designed to do. It can be frustrating and sometimes the universe seems to be against you, you can not control everythign that happens to you, but you can control how you choose to respond to it. Weight your options and carefully choose your next step, in what is the best thing to do next. If you dump too much money into the car, or do the wrong things to it, you will spend more than you should. On the other hand, you can also dump an otherwise good car because you hate it, not fix it and than take a bath on it, buying another car that could be just as big a headache as the current one. So carefully consider your next decision, what is your best actions (sometimes I have to list pros and cons on paper for me to think clearly to make a difficult decision).

Your car can be fixed, permanently, if done correctly. but if you constantly neglect it, there is no point in it, sell it and take the bus.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros' mantra on machines is spot on. It is not a rant, but an astute observation.
It is too easy, sometimes, to bestow anthropomorphism on a machine, particularly when one has invested time and treasure on it (and I am occasionally guilty of talking to my Goldie as well...).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

Well I am avid on checking the fluids every day .the gear oil I check regularly.I maintain my car.I do not neglect it. I don't Know why this happened .I've replaced everything on the car except transmission .doesn't matter anyways it finally died the tranny is dead i had to have it towed to my aunts house .I'm screwed

And to all the people who tell me that the car will run forever.I say sure it will .but only if forever means till it "decides" it doesn't want to work anymore.because I know it wasn't my choice to have it die.when I really needed it I thought of you took care of something it would take care of you .but that's only in fairy tales.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Man why so melodramatic transmissions are only 200 bucks at pick n pull a little elbow grease and a little time and you got it in.
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I was being facicious.I don't have the dough to get a new tranny.I'm in a pinch .I will figure it out though thanks if you know anyone in the Orange county California area with a 83 SR5 4wd tranny let me know
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I know of people that put 400k miles on their trannys, and I know of ones that failed at 150K. I do not know what causes the difference, slight internal defect, so sort of abuse unknown by the owner? It just happens sometimes. You do not know what the history of the car was before you owned it, so it may have been damaged by someone else's abuse or neglect, or there was some minor defect within the part that failed, that lasted until now (and by random chance, the car you got had that part, that failed while you were driving it).

No way to know, it is failed. Replacing the trans is a lot cheaper than getting another car. finding one is going to be the issue. Might be easier and faster to go buy another beater car for $400, and hopeufully that will not have any expensive problems develope either.

When you drive a 30 year old car of unknown history these kind of things happen sometimes. I have twice had transmissions fail on T4wd I was driving, one was completely inexpiable (even after the trans was torn down, nothing failed but it was stuck in 2nd gear, and I could not drive home from another state). I had to deal with it, no matter how inconvenient it was. So far I have not had to abandon any Tercel because of a major failure, I was always able to go back and fix it.

There are a few so. Cal. forum members that may know where to find you a good trans locally. Perhaps they will chim in .
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Thank you very much .I do know the previous owner and there was only one owner before that .but what I found out is sorta interesting.it turns out that the original tranny had the 3rd and 4th gear replaced .and ultimately was replaced with a completely different one which would be the one I am dealing with .so tranny prob seem to be a norm for this car
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that much bad luck out of the same tranny is suspect, they may not be fixing the original cause of the failure but replacing the obvious failed parts.

It might required a completely different trans to fix it permanently unless you are willing to pay an expert to rebuild your trans (pretty costly, a good replacement trans is much less costly).
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

As far as trouble shooting goes
s there a sequence or type or formula method reference style so I do not take out and possibly try and " fix" stuff I didnt need to
Last edited by gnarnold on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

If you have the repair guide, there is a lot of information on testing parts. This also includes electrical components, relays, voltage regulator, the coil, it also gives tolerance levels for mechanical components.
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

before pulling tranny look for "how to's" in "Repair Guides"
if your not messing with clutch then pull tranny only
removing input shaft first makes it easier, whether pulling tranny only or tranny/transaxle
there are YouTube videos on taking tranny apart and putting it back together
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Petros wrote:But even when not in that gear, those parts are still running over each other. So lubrication is real important. And one of the reasons EVERYONE on this forum should check the gear oil levels first on any new purchase, and check them regularly after. Gear oil is way cheaper and easier than replacing the trans.

Drive it gently with it full of gear oil, and perhaps some lubricating additive, and avoid the gears or driving conditions where the noise is most loud.
Gear oil = transmission / differential fluid?
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Gear lube. Usually 80w90.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

lucafusi wrote:Gear oil = transmission / differential fluid?
yes, gear oil, gear lube (or lubricant), manual transmission fluid are meet the same requirements, either normal or synthetic (though synthetic is much more costly). They also sell "hypoid gear lube" for the differential, that would be also be fine. A hypoid gear is the type of cut on the diff ring and pinion and it has extra high shearing forces on the gear face, but all diffs are cut this way now and most of the quality gear oil would meets this requirement.

I have found that putting all synthetic gear lube in the trans make the syncros less effective, they were designed for normal gear oil. the synthtic is too slippery and the syncros will not work as well, particularly if worn. I also found the synthetic tended to seep past the trans seals. so I use a mix of 50/50 synthic and normal gear oil seems to solve these problems. I have hand no problem with synthetic in the rear diff.

Normal gear lube seems to work fine, gives long life as long as you change it per the FSM (which most people, including me, do not). the more costly synthetic is supposed to reduce wear and make it last longer, and it can be run at longer change intervals.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

OK it's been a night mare trying to remove transaxle .I suspect the problem is in there because when I stick my finger in the drain hole a turn the wheel slowly I can feel missing teeth right when a ratchet like sound happens I've done every thing that the good book says to do , but when I put the upper bolts in the other side of the intermediate plate the lower bolt holes *&to spread transaxle from teams mission it won't spread.any ideas
Last edited by gnarnold on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.