emissions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
bisho23
My tercel:: 1984 toyota tercel sr5 5speed

emissions

Post by bisho23 »

wanted to take the emissions stuff off my tercel need to know what I can cap of thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: emissions

Post by Petros »

Why do you want to do that? There is no performance to be gained that way. many of the systems need to be there to keep it drivable. The fuel system was designed to work with those things in place and operational. many of them not just improve drivability, but also improve fuel economy as well. It is usually best to keep them working, they are simple systems once you know how they work.

There are a few things you can by-pass if necessary, too many to list here. But you can remove and cap off the EGR system without anything bad happening. I also blocked off the warm air mixer valve on the air intake system (cold air has slightly more power because it is more dense), but if you live in areas with freezing weather that would not be a good idea because the carb could ice up until it is fully warmed.n You can also reemove the carbon cansiter and cap the lines (except the fuel tank vent lines), but it does not harm economy and does reduced unburnt hydrocarbon emissions from the tank vent, so there is no reason to remove it.

Many times forum members have bought Tercels with all of the vac lines ripped out and capped, they always ran like crap. They ended up hunting down all of the missing parts and reinstalling them to get it to run properly. It is just a bad idea to remove things that are part of the system, at least without knowing what they do.

If you are having trouble with any of the systems it is easier to isolate the problem and fix it. There is nothing to be intimidated by, there are a lot of systems and it looks messy, but taken one at a time they are not too difficult to sort out.

Are you having drivablity issues? tell us what is wrong with it. If it is not broken, do not try and "fix it" by pulling out perfectly good working vacuum operated fuel system components!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)