Throw out bearing pin?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Foryst
My tercel:: 1984 toyota tercel sr5 wagon 4wd

Throw out bearing pin?

Post by Foryst »

When I removed my transmission the throw out bearing was in there but not connected to the clutch arm that pushes it forward. The pin (or whatever you call it) was missing. Its what keeps the throw out bearing able to move back and fourth with the clutch. It lookes kinda like a shaped paperclip. What exactly is this part called and where can I find it?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Throw out bearing pin?

Post by Petros »

throw out bearing retainer? It is a large wire clip, like a large "C" with the open side downward, kind of shaped like the greek letter "omega".

Why is yours missing? Previous mechanic left it out? Not sure it is really necessary to run, but it holds the throw out bearing in place while you jockey the trans into place when installing it.

I might have an extra one kicking around in my garage if you need one. PM me your address.

edit: the FSM calls it a bearing clip (page 281 of the on-line FSM).

http://tercel4wd.com/fsm/1985_Manualindex.html
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SuperEcono4x4
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercell Wagon 4wd

Post by SuperEcono4x4 »

Hi. I know this thread is super old, but I am swapping engines and noticed that my throughout bearing retainer clip is missing! It seemed to run/shift fine without it, if indeed it has been missing all along since last clutch job. Foryst...did you end up running without the clip, or did you find one? I can't find a new one avail anywhere, so would need to source a used one. Really want to figure this out BEFORE puting the engine back in!

Any insight will be appreciated!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

If you buy a new throwout "release" bearing, it will come with one.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
SuperEcono4x4
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercell Wagon 4wd

Post by SuperEcono4x4 »

Helipilot77, i bought an entire clutch kit...it came with everything EXCEPT the pin! I then checked rockauto, auto stores, amazon, ebay, the dealership...all "discontinued" or unavailable or unlisted. So...I bought one for a Mitsubishi that looked similar to the diagram in the book. Definitely not perfect and had to add some custom bends to it, but it is installed and the clutch linkage seems to work. Ran out of time to finish engine reinstall until another day off, but crossing my fingers it all works!

Thinking about it more, I think mine had fallen off long ago and slipped out the little bottom gap of the bellhousing. Pressing the clutch always felt a bit off...sort of binding, though it always fully engaged and disengaged. That may have been that dang missing pin!