Complete listing of 4 bolt x 100mm rims

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Re: Complete listing of 4 bolt x 100mm rims

Post by LeeBiew »

The 80's MR2 had two brake sizes. The 87-89 had enlarged front rotors and calipers. When they upgraded the rotor/caliper, the mounting points stayed the same (it's actually the same caliper, just the caliper carrier is bigger). Despite the bigger caliper and rotor, the caliper piston size stayed the same too (same as the Tercel piston size) so braking proportions were also the same. The 98 Golf rotor is the same bolt pattern, diameter, and thickness (almost) as the 87-89 MR2 rotor, BUT it accommodates the "top hat" difference between the MR2/90's Tercel and 80's Tercel perfectly (the offset). From what I remember, the 92 Tercel rotors were the same diameter as the 84-86 MR2, but with a shorter "top hat", so less shimming under the rotor. The 98 Golf rotors may not be possible unless you had 87-89 MR2 front calipers (inverted), because of the larger rotor diameter. You also probably had less of an issue with caliper/rim clearance because of the aid of your shims. My clearance "issues" are with the face of the rim, not the tire side of the rim, since my caliper is wider but not much taller. I still have well over an inch of clearance diameter-wise. I bet my original 13"s would fit if I put a wide enough spacer in there, but they would probably have to be an inch thick. My previous winter 14" steelies did fit though, nicely. The only 14" alloys I have ever tried were the Miata Daisy rims... they just sit in my garage now, except the one that I use as my spare, because it still fits on the rear.
Last edited by LeeBiew on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

btw, I have a free set of the original 13" pizza cutters for anyone who wants to pick them up.
skicrosser
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd 6speed

Post by skicrosser »

I might want to grab those rims off your hands. I live in Calgary so I'm a fair ways away.

I'm wondering about winter tires I'm running everything stock but am thinking of going up an inch in diameter. Apart from looks will there be much of an advantage or running 14" in the winter? I'm new to the west coast and to tercels so are studded tires a must out here, or is it fine to just run a solid set of winters.
1987 al35 sr5 6 speed (first car)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Calgary can get pretty cold, and have patchy ice on a lot of the less traveled roads for most of the winter. Studded tires are the best way to get around on icy roads, though they are expensive. They also greatly affect your fuel economy as well, so you do not want to run them any longer than you have to. if you get regular winter tires it would be good for snowy roads, or muddy roads, but if you get ice you will have to install tire chains, not a very pleant thing to do, and you have to limit your speed with tire chains, even the newer cable chains.

You might ask around your work or neigbors to see who severe winter driving can be. they likely use gravel on the roads if you get much ice, but if everyone used studded snow tires, than that might be a good idea. The most fun I have ever had on icy roads was in a Tercel4wd with studded snow tires on it. Lightweight car with excellent 4x4 traction on ice is a tough combo to beat.

You likely will not notice much difference on studded snow tires or winter tires with 13" vs. 14" wheels, but on good roads with street tires, the 14" wheels are a noticeable improvement. Well worth doing, you would run a lower profile tire with the approx same rolling dia with the 14" wheels, this will give much less side wall flex, and also if you get alloy wheels, they will be more stiff as well. Both of these will greatly improve handling and driver feed back through the steering wheel, the stock 13" steel wheels have a noticable amount of flex that you will feel at hwy speeds. I would suggest getting 14" x 6" allow wheels for 3 season driving on good all season tires, and than get studded snow tires to mount on the stock 13" wheels.

You might also search your local craig's list for wheels and used studded snow tires, it seems you will always find them that way (people get a new car and than keep the tires until they are tired of storing them so they put them on craig's list).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Naw, studded tires are not needed. People I know that have had them don't like them. Driving on ice is apparently great (when the studs are new), but they make more noise and also have a very noticeable difference in traction when driving on anything but ice. More movement and sliding on pavement. NEW, decent non-studded tires will do you just fine. Welcome to Alberta driving.
Last edited by LeeBiew on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Check out the tire I want to get next... the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. I think this could possibly be the best tire for Alberta roads and winters.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Agreed with Petros on the wheel size choices. My pizza cutters would work great for winters. Just avoid a winter tire size that is too low profile, and always monitor tire pressures. Alberta potholes covered in snow can be deadly. Dented rims and such. I've dented two 14" steelies that way. Steel rims don't last more that a few years anyways because of the salt. I can tell you that my 15" rims are heavy, I wouldn't mount them with stock brakes, especially if you have sticky tires. I don't think I, personally, would ever go back to 14"s or all-season tires though.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

really low profile tires perform better on dry roads, but wet or snowy roads are actually dangerous, really poor traction. and as noted, you also risk damaging the rim and tire on rough roads. So I have settled for 14" rims summer, and 13" winter. It is wet most of the year here.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

...and for winter, keep the tire skinny. More "PSI" on the surface of the road. It cuts through the slush and gets a much more solid contact with the road.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

so... a new, skinny, non-studded, winter tire on a 13" alloy wheel is what you are looking for.
Silver-san
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel 4wd

Post by Silver-san »

Hello Everyone. This is my first post on this forum, although I am reading it for a long time now.

Sorry for posting in the old topic, but this one looks most up to date so far now.

I just wanted to add the information about the Volvo 440/460 wheels, which I am using for now (because previous owner used 4x98 wheels which is common to my region).

The wheels are 4x100 ET 37 5.5jx14 and inner diameter of 52.1 mm is the only con, because it is 2 mm smaller then T4WD needs. Lucky for me, it's just a thin layer of aluminum on inner side that can be easily bored without loosing rigidity. The middle and the outer side is about 54.3 mm.

It can be done even with no access to the machine shop which was my option. It took me from 15 to 30 minutes per wheel while using a drill with correct head.

I hope this post will be useful for someone like me, when there was no detailed info in the internet.

By the way, Volvo used different wheels with 4x100 pattern on car models 340, 360, 440, 460 and 480, so there probably should be ones, that could bolt on without additional manipulations.

Stock nuts fitted perfectly.

Also, just to mention the fact, Renault/Dacia Logan uses the same pattern, and maybe some other cars on this platform are compatible by the wheel size.

P.S.: 5 wheels from scrapyard was about $35 US and the worst result on balancing was 30 to 40 grams. Original paint though. Sorry for bad photo quality and dirty car :)