Alternator alternatives?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
J Dumarais
My tercel:: Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon '86 & Jose 87' Tercel 4WD Wagon

Alternator alternatives?

Post by J Dumarais »

Im poor and i want my ride back.
Alternator in BC are about an 200$
I look around the forum and i kind of anderstand that is possible to Jimmy Rig an other more common.
Pls direct me.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Alternator alternatives?

Post by Petros »

First, verify that is indeed your alternator that is bad. many parts stores will test it for free if you bring it it, just to confirm yours is bad. Also, check connections at both ends (clean and sand the contact and than reassemble).

you can take apart your existing alternator and build it your self for very little money. You can find rebuild kits on ebay or amazon. usually you only need a set of brushes, very cheap (like $10), you can also get bearings if needed for about $8 each, internal regulator, diods, etc, all not too costly. a whole kit is less than $20. but you likely only need brushes. Take your existing alternator to a shop where they usually will test it for free and sometimes will tell you what is wrong (regulator, diods, burshes, etc), than you buy just what you need.

Personally I would look at other Toyota model cars to find one like yours, all toyota cars from about '86 through about '94 uses similar or identical alternators.

you can make any alternator work, but if you stay with the type of internal voltage regulator model common to all toyota automobiles from '85 through perhaps '94, it should not be too difficult. many even use the same connector, but if not, as long as you swap the connector over (with the correct wire connected to the right terminal, as determined by your wire diagram), it will work.

I swap out my older style '83-4 alternator to a newer type from an '86. I swap out the mount, and made an adapter from the connector. the newer alternator is lighter, smaller yet produces more output. Your '87 should use the same alternator as the corolla up through about '92, and likely the same as the newer Tercels ('86-'92) with the transverse engine.

At worst you will have to swap over the pulley, and the alter the mount, and connector to make it work, but not likely you will even have to do that. You have the '87 T4wd, which should use the newer type alternator (internal voltage regulator).

if you have some wrecking yards with old corollas, Camrys, Tercels to choose from, you should be able to find something that is pretty close so it will work without too much effort. look at those models from '86 through perhaps '96. if you have a local self service wrecking yard (picknpull, etc) it should not cost too much. also, check local craig's list, or equivalent for parts cars, used alternators, etc. shop carefully, you will not be able to return it if it you can not get it to fit.

they want a core charge, so take your bad one in with you to give them so they don't charge you extra.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

Thanks you Petros, as alway everything is there.
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

I was sure the alternator was going bad, the charge might was on and my light and wiper power were proportional to Rpm. Now i fund a working one, FOR SURE and the timming/Rpm is better but it seems like there's a drag that keep it from starting.
I can start it by compression still.
I'm gonna start running true the wire systheme tomorow
But i bet you guy's already have an idea where to look.
You'r awesome.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

again check big starter wires for good connections for contact (simplest), and your battery is holding a charge (a bad cell in a battery will act like it is not charged). Most auto parts stores that sell batteries will test yours for free.

often when a starter gets an internal short it will still turn, but draw a lot of power and act like a very low battery. after you check contacts, and check out your battery, you can take the starter to a shop and many will bench test it for free. Most Napa stores can do that (call first).

We went out to dinner one night in my wife's Masda MPV, when we came out the starter acted seized, drew power way down and hardly turned the engine (made lights on the dash go very dim). In my Tercel I would have just roll started it to get home, but in the darn newer cars you can not do that, 'puter cuts out the trans if it does not run (I have roll started an auto trans several times, but that was in the old days before 'puters and bots controlled our cars). I thought we were going to have to get a tow home, but a passer by suggested we try a jump. We tried it, and It gave us just enough juice to crank it (slowly) but it started. Was able to get home and swap out the starter the next day.

Always diagnose the problem before you replace parts to try and fix it. You waste time and money just throwing new parts at an old car.

Good luck.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Kinda sounds like it could be a potential regulator problem too. Check that as well before replacing an alternator.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

Back on the road !
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

good for you! what did you find/do to fix it?