What is this Plug in my carburetor Idle Port ?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

What is this Plug in my carburetor Idle Port ?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a 1987 Toyota Tercel DX Wagon RHD 1452cc 2bl manual driven car. Carburetor of it is a Aisan Two Barrel carburetor.

I have disassembled my Carburetor for repair.

Idle Mixture Screw lies in a "Special plug". That plug has a orifice at the end for the upper Idle port. Idle screw lies inclined angle at the mid part.
Idle housing.jpg
Carburetor has separate holes for Idle Mixture Screw and for this plug.
Plug2.jpg
Pluig.jpg

I want to know the name of this plug to order a new one for replace (Old one is damaged).

Can anyone tell me the name of this plug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: What is this Plug in my carburetor Idle Port ?

Post by Petros »

I do not think you need one. that plug is to prevent adjustment of idle jet for emissions reasons, which is factory set. though the instructions in the FSM are to drill out the plug for a rebuild of the carb, which means you will have to adjust it anyway, per the FSM procedure. Although you are technically "tampering" with emissions control components, the FSM tells you to take it out. The car is exempt from most regulations once it gets this old in almost all states anyway. but not sure of the status of removing the plug vs. federal laws. As a practical matter, there is no enforcement process in place, which means you can do what you want with it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Re: What is this Plug in my carburetor Idle Port ?

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you @Petros for your advice. This was a bit relief for me. I have taken a long time to rebuild the carb on this plug issue.

I was thinking to put some paraffin wax on this damaged one and mold the original configure with wax. Then to put plaster of Parris on it and pour melted Aluminium.

Now your advice brought me a relief. Thanks.