Front Drivers Side Window Regulator needed!!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Front Drivers Side Window Regulator needed!!!

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I am in desperate need of a window regulator for the drivers side! If anyone has one please let me know!!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: Front Drivers Side Window Regulator needed!!!

Post by garyfish »

eBay has aftermarket window regulators that fit our wagons... made by Dorman, for $40 w/ free shipping

do a search for Dorman 749-246 which is the part number for the front driver's side regulator

I purchased and installed one in my '87 SR5 wagon, and they're a little flimsier than OEM, but if you lube them up properly before installation, they should last a good long time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-83-86-TOYO ... bR&vxp=mtr
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I've got both front (Dorman) regulators, if you'd like them.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I'm pretty sure I have an OEM regulator. I'll check today and get back to you.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

I have to lube my window mechanism every so often (roughly 5-year intervals?) or it gets hard to crank and risks busting the cranking unit. It's mainly the sliding parts of the window scissors mechanism that bind from dust accumulation etc. For easier servicing I cut some strategically-located holes in the plastic inner door panel and cover them with matching gray duct tape. The plastic-film liner inside the door was shot so I removed the remnants.

I know this information isn't helping the original poster but others may want to consider preventive maintenance on binding windows to help avoid a potential repair hassle.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I do indeed have an OEM drivers side window regulator. PM me if you want it. $15+ shipping to you.

. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Thanks for that information though Ace, I'll definitely lube mine up better this go around, last time I replaced the front 2 I didn't clean the tracks or lube them really well... Probably why it only lasted a couple years(it was used already though haha). Pms sent to everyone though, thanks guys!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

in Helipilot's photo of the used OEM regulator he has available, it looks like about 5 of the "teeth" on the top left are somewhat worn down compared to those adjacent

could be an optical illusion though, I suppose, with lube filling in the "valleys" between the teeth that appear to be missing some metal
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Yeah I see that now. I'll take a closer look at it tonight. It did have a heavy coat of grease on it. I however don't want to pass on anything that is worn out. I've always wondered if it would be a good idea to build up the material on the teeth with a welder. It should improve the wear characteristics of the teeth and would save another OEM window regulator from hitting the scrap heap. I've also been wanting to build a CNC table for my plasma cutter. New window regulator rack gears would be on the list of things to have in the library.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Couple informative links, esp. the first one:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1847&hilit=door+regulator keith's, w/pix!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7248&hilit=window+regulator
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Pulled the window regulator apart today to if it is salvageable and what it would need if it was. I started by cleaning it up.

A lot more of the teeth were damaged that I originally thought. Under closer inspection I realized the cause of the damaged teeth. The bearing of the pinion was completly worn out and was allowing the pinion to ride only on the outer end of the teeth. So I am going to need to make a new rack gear. Also I am going to need to weld up the hole for the pinion and drill it out to the correct size.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Weld some globs of metal where the teeth were then file to shape. I have done that a few times. Also once drew up sketch of toothed plate and had laser cut it out. Good plasma cutter should work too.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Yeah I was thinking of just cutting a new one, but I think welding on them will improve the wear characteristics of the teeth. So I'll give that a try, then reshape them. I might also see if I can find a brass bushing to install around the pinion shaft.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

you can take the gear segment from a passengers side window and make it work on the drivers side,,have to drill out the spot welds and reweld it back on,, have to mark to carefully before taking the gear off to get it back in the right spot,,,have done it before and never bothered to take any pics
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Alright. Rack gear is looking much better now and has been welded and reshaped. I think it's going to work well.

Now I need to fix the pinion gear axle bearing. So I welded the bearing hole up and drilled it out to size.

I got it all put back together and tried operating it. And it seems that my gear mesh is a bit too loose because it is skipping. So I need to cut my spot welds loose on the rack gear again and adjust it so that the mesh is better. But once that is done I think it should be good for another two or three decades of use.

. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]