"Bernie-mobile" Tercel at local wrecking yard.

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

"Bernie-mobile" Tercel at local wrecking yard.

Post by Petros »

I thought you all might enjoy this. They just got a T4wd, DLX in the Arlington WA pick and pull last week.

apparently a disappointed Bernie Sanders supporter. sent his Tercel "Bernie Mobil" to the wreckers in disgust, no doubt, after the election results. Our gain, I might see if I can snatch the trans this weekend if no one locally wants it.
Bernie Tercel.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: "Bernie-mobile" Tercel at local wrecking yard.

Post by Mattel »

TercelDude has been quiet for a while.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mattel wrote:TercelDude has been quiet for a while.
HAW!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I saw that at the yard over the weekend, but completely forgot to come back to it!

I'd take Bernie over the Cheeto in Chief and his merry band of f**k-ups, any day.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

we did not have a lot of good choices this time around. Bernie never had enough votes, even without the rigged primary. Besides, that is history, we got what we got.

i just thought that it was interesting this car ended up in the wrecking yard after the election. I wonder what it means.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Petros wrote:i just thought that it was interesting this car ended up in the wrecking yard after the election. I wonder what it means.
They at least had the same particular screw loose that the rest of us here do!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

okay, I have stripped the Bernie-mobile of most of the useful parts.

it actually appears to have an interesting history. It was actually an SR5, with california emissions. It appears at one time in the past it was next to a burning building (or burning car perhaps), and it "felt the Burn". All of the plastic on the drivers (left) side was blistered and melted: review mirror, side marker light (you can see in the pic), and left side of rear tail light. There is the wide SR5 trim on the right side, so what you see in the picture is stick on after market trim, which looks like the DLX trim. Likely this is why it got the funky paint job. too bad, it was otherwise in decent condition,no rust, most of the body in decent shape. it had a new radiator, and the head was off and in the back. the engine was really clean, all the carbon was cleaned off the piston tops, and the gasket face was shinny. So it appears they overheated it and decided to replace the head gasket. but gave up on it and sent it to the wrecker. what a shame, could have been restored if someone wanted to repaint it.

I took the front bumper to replace the one I drove back from Reno (that has that ugly snow plow mount on it, they cut it up to weld on the mount). It had the left side kind of distorted by the heat, not pretty but better than the cut one on the one from Dan.

I also saved the complete trans, appears to be in good shape, all gears rotate smoothly. If anyone wants it I will be happy to sell it.

I also got the new radiator, it was a double row one and can always use a spare.

the head light assemblies looked so nice I decided to take them since they had to come off to get the front bumper off.

I grabbed the hood release cable while I was at it for Abr-Cadaver.

I removed both rear axles since they had good bearings.

I took the front half of the drive shaft since it was out, it has a good carrier bearing and the front u-joint is good. someone had cut the rear drive shaft in half rather roughly, not sure why anyone would do that, the rear half was missing off the rear diff.

I got a few miscl. trim peices. the SR5 instrument cluster I left (I thought about getting it but I think a have a few spares already, if anyone wants it I can go back and get it in the next few days, half off sale runs through monday). i also left the left and right steering knucles since I already have a spare set, these appeared to have good bearings in them and are worth getting. both front cv axles were junk (one okay but worn, the other bad). it appears to have recent rear bake job too, no rust on the wheel cyclinders and clean shoes. I put all the parts I did not take but had removed in the back hatch. Also, most of the engine parts are there, including the startger, alternator, carburator, intake/exh manifold, but mostly removed.

if anyone needs any of this stuff right now let me know, I just got them as spares (which I know I will need sooner or later). I would be happy to share if you have no local parts.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Good save petros! I would check those steering components out carefully Petros as I believe the previous owner might have veered often towards the left.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Mattel wrote:Good save petros! I would check those steering components out carefully Petros as I believe the previous owner might have veered often towards the left.
:lol:
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes, I suspect so. rack had a little play in it, so it would be difficult to keep it going in the same direction. had studded snow tires on it, likely the owner lived in Seattle area.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have a rear hatch you can have, but shipping it to your place would likely cost more than it is worth. Might see if any forum members in your area have one for you.

the hood cable has a barrel shaped metal end at the lever end, and a ball shaped metal end at the hood latch end, no plastic. It has a metal collar at both ends. the housing is a little frayed at the hood latch end, but it still worked and the cable is in good shape. I think I can get it in a flat rate envelope. I will PM you. BTW, I would not yank out your cable yet, it is a bit of a bear to feed through. I would wait until you get the replacement cable and wire the old one and new one together and pull it through.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

so I managed to strip a few more parts of the "Bernie-Mobile" yesterday for some forum members. so there is even fewer good parts left now. but still lots of good stuff to claim if anyone is game. Half price sale ended on monday, so it is full price until the next sale.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I need a headlight stalk switch if there's a good one on this car. PM me price/details if you can hook me up.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, it was present last time I was there. I can take a look next week, will have to get back with you on price. I have another reason to go look at it for a minor part, but I do not know when I will have time.
Samyo
My tercel:: 84 sr5

Post by Samyo »

If Anybody is planning a trip to see Bernie in Arlington I need : passenger side vertical windshield trim and lower 90 degree trim piece.