WTB: Known good Carb

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
NickC809
My tercel:: 1985 T4WD

WTB: Known good Carb

Post by NickC809 »

Hello all,
I'm in search of a known good carb for my 85 4wdT. I'm having some carb issues and as the car is my daily I'd like to be able to swap them out instead of trying to rebuild/clean. OR! IF there is a known good location to send these carbs off to for a clean/rebuild that would be useful as well. I'm located in northern California between Sacramento & Reno. Thanks!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB: Known good Carb

Post by Petros »

before you replace the carb, make sure you do a very detailed search for vacuum leaks, double check all of the vac lines are routed properly, and all of the linage and adjustments are are set properly per the FSM.

Than spray out the carb with carb cleaner, verify all linkage is moving freely, float level is correct, etc. No need to remove the carb, just the air cleaner, spray cleaner down the barrels while you are reving the engine, should clean up any goop.

Most of the time when I thought I had carb troubles it turns out be a problem with the vac lines or out of adjustment. If it is a vac leak, or one of the vac operated components, than replacing the carb will not fix it. So you have to sort out the cause of the problem first, before you can fix it.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NickC809

Post by NickC809 »

Thanks Petros!
I just had it at the Smog shop and they found all the vacuum leaks (supposedly) otherwise I don't think it would have passed smog . They also did a bit of adjusting on it as well. Unfortunately I only paid for it to pass smog not for the driveabiltity concerns. My theory as to why I want to try a new carb is; when the choke is still engaged there is no stumble/hesitation under 3k rpm. However once the choke pulls off it has trouble from a stand still and 1/4 throttle cruising. (It bucks a bit and has slight stumble). Which leads me to believe the primary venturi/slow jet is a not entirely clear. What further leads me to believe this is, until last month the car had been sitting in a field since 2002. I thought I got most of the gunk out when I did a quick carb clean but it was quite a mess in there. I will try the carb cleaner trick while running and see if that helps. I found an 84 2 door in a pick n pull in rancho cordova, so I might try that route but I'd rather get one from a trusted source.
NickC809

Post by NickC809 »

Update: Pulled a carb off of a car with 300k at the local picknpull and the hesitation/stumble is gone!