WTB: Celica GTS spring for lift

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

WTB: Celica GTS spring for lift

Post by ccmt »

Howdy folks,
I'm finally getting around to doing a front and rear lift on my 86 (pathfinder springs in back, Celica GTS springs in front). I finally tracked down a Celica GTS in a salvage yard near me. Unfortunately, by the time I got there the car only had the drivers side spring left. I have all the other parts but I was wondering if anyone had a single GTS spring laying around that they'd be willing to sell.
Thanks,
ccmt
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB: Celica GTS spring for lift

Post by Petros »

There are many after market suppliers for both stock and performance Celica springs, you might look for them. You may pay more than at a wrecking yard, but sometimes for after market it would not be too bad.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Post by ccmt »

I haven't been able to find aftermarket springs to match the Celica GTS stock springs that would give the right amount of lift for the Tercel. All the after markets I've run into seem to be for lowering the Celica. Has anyone has come across an after market spring that would work for the lift listed in the FAQs?
Thanks,
ccmt
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there are aftermarket stock springs available as replacement springs. Rock auto may have them. most auto parts stores can get them. you need to find a brand that sells replacement springs, not the performance springs. I am sure Moog or NAPA or some such brand has them.
seancromie
My tercel:: (ROVER) 1987 tercel 4wd

Post by seancromie »

will stock celiac springs fit with kyg cartridges up front?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

cartridge installation does not affect spring selection. the cartrage goes inside the strut tube, if the spring fits or not is based on the dia of the lower and upper spring seats, as well as travel.
seancromie
My tercel:: (ROVER) 1987 tercel 4wd

Post by seancromie »

yes i do understand that petros, i just have never mixed and matched springs and cartridges prior, i have always used quick struts that come already built, i wasn't sure if the cartridges would be ok with other springs.. appreciate your feedback and consistency on replies!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

ideally you do want to match the amount of damping the strut provides to the spring, but there are other factors too. average speed (which affects the impact forces when you hit a bump), weight of car, road surface roughness (off road struts for rough roads would be different than for same car/truck on a smooth hard surface road). Many strut makers offer adjustable rate on their products for optimizing for your particular use, though these are much more costly. But unless you can adjust that as you drive, you will either be too stiff and harsh on smooth roads, or too soft on rough roads. You are always running a compromise for different requirments. I like a stiff ride anyway (not harsh), so it serves better or rough roads as well. I really hate the soft mushy ride of a camary or larger cars that typical Americans want.

But unless you are really badly over dampened, the changes you make with springs and struts should be well within acceptable limits. You could be under dampening them too, but you would know that, and it is not likely to happen if you are upgrading both struts and springs.

Many years ago a high school friend of mine parents became successful with their business and they bought a brand new BIG Cadillac, he asked if I wanted to go for a ride in it, his mom wanted him to take it to the car wash. As teenagers we were into sports cars and performance driving of course, this thing rode like it was floating on air, but we wanted to "run it through its paces" on the way to the car wash. Trying to go fast on rough roads it was almost uncontrollable. With it's massive weight, it was all over the road, heavy suspension slamming against the stops, whole car shuttering and jerking around. Not fun, so we slowed down and "floated" it to the car wash (driving the way we would imagine a chauffeur would drive a Rolls Royce), and than floated it back home. Almost no road feel at all through the car, steering or seats. I would describe it as a car for those who do not want to feel like they are actually driving a car. We joked it was the "ride of luxury", and would, and still prefer a car that is fun to drive that is firm and gives good feed back through the steering wheel and seat of the pants. It was obviously designed for a soft comfortable ride at moderate road speeds, not off road performance driving. You can not get both unless you have a means of changing spring rates and dampening ratio as you drive it.