Need weird steering parts

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Need weird steering parts

Post by sdoan »

I need the right rack mount and steering shaft (long splined with with u-joint) for a manual steering Tercel.

The right rack mount has an upper and lower clamp and a rubber shrubbing (want it all). The upper steering shaft for the manual is longer than for the power rack but the u-joint and lower clamp are the same (just want the shaft if that's all you have).

I have cash $$$ and/or all the power steering parts to trade.

Other dumb parts I'd like are Non-AC alternator mount (upper and lower brackets) and non-power steering right side motor mount bracket.

Thanks,
Shawn
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Need weird steering parts

Post by xirdneh »

I should have most of that
Will not be able to find out till weds
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Thank you! I'm checking at a wrecking yard today, so will let you know if I still need them.

Shawn
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

Found the manual steering parts I needed on Tuesday and was able to grab them today. Can recommend 360 Auto Wrecking in Lake Stevens - nice people.

If anyone wants to convert a power steering Terc to manual you need several things:
The steering shaft (with u-joint) is longer and the spline diameter smaller than that for the power rack so you need the whole shaft-u-joint assembly.
The right rack mount is smaller diameter. The manual rack mount has 3 parts (upper and lower brackets and the rubber cushion - all are different than power rack mount.
The manual tie rod ends are approx 1/2 inch longer than the power rack tie rod ends. (the power rack is wider)
The dust boot between the steering shaft and the rack has a smaller inside diameter than the power rack dust boot.

Strangely a Tercel hatchback of the same design (inline engine over transaxle) has different steering shaft and rack mounts (at least the one I found did!).
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

The inner and outer tie rods are the same for power steering and manual steering racks. The outer tie rods just get turned in more to compensate.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

don't think so!!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Local parts shop says so.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

local parts stores here say the same thing,, I have manual and power with the same tie rods on them,,, but in there listings one of the two of them is cheaper to buy I for get witch one it is
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

The power rack is about 1" wider than the manual rack. (I've got them both and measured them on the bench) The power steering tie rod ends are each correspondingly about 1/2" shorter. As a result the manual steering tie rod ends would NOT work (too long) on the power rack (no adjustment left) but the power steering rod ends would work on the manual rack with about 1" thread exposed on each side and correspondingly less overlap on the adjustment threads.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Well then I guess I can't believe the local parts supplier.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there are some differences from the '83-84 model year, and '85 and newer steering systems as well.

Marlin, there are two possibilities: either an after market parts supplier has parts made with enough adjustment so their tie rods can work on both power and manual steering. Or they are just incorrect.

I have seen the difference, sometimes you can make it work by adjusting it, sometimes you can not. depends on left/right, model year, etc. I have a stack of used tie rod ends in various condition, and when I put them side by side I am always scratching my head on which one will work in the car I need it to replace.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SuperEcono4x4
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercell Wagon 4wd

Post by SuperEcono4x4 »

Hey there everyone! Does anyone have a manual steering shaft from '83/'84 (without the tilt)? I too am gathering parts for the swap to manual power steering. Currently after PS pump failure, I have been driving with the belt disconnected and getting 2 mpg improvement! The minimal extra effort to steer without PS is no biggie and I am finally convinced to clean up my engine bay and go manual. Plus I need to replace an inner tie rod, so might as well do it all at once. However, I'm in Anchorage, AK and there are no 2wds!! (at least they are rare enough that I don't ever see them anywhere). I can buy a new manual rack if need be, as well as bushings for the mounts, but I need the shaft and mounting hardware for the manual version as I can't find that stuff new anywhere in stores or online....