83 manual 6 speed.

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
typeb20
My tercel:: 83 4wd

83 manual 6 speed.

Post by typeb20 »

Hello members,
Going to keep this short. I bought an 83 manual wagon last fall and needs some work. I'm a Toyota mechanic so I know a little.... right front wheel hit something. When this occurred, the right front axle pushed right side carrier bearing into ring and pinion, and destroyed the front differential. The bearing in the transmission that holds the output shaft to the front differential, is, well gone for the most part. The front diff is not salvageable, neither is its case. The transmission could probably be rebuilt. However, not sure if I wanna go that route. I bought the vehicle for 500. Trying to keep costs down. I need a manual transmission with the front differential. Otherwise I'm going to get rid of vehicle. I saw the Trans on ebay, but shipping is just too much.
Any help?
Thanks
Chris
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 83 manual 6 speed.

Post by irowiki »

Location would help!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
typeb20

Post by typeb20 »

Opps. Minneapolis mn
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

forum member splatterdog is relatively close to you. look him up on here and send him a private message. he had a few parts cars that he stripped so he may have a trans kicking around.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is not clear, is this the 4wd wagon or the 2wd (front wheel drive). You are correct, replacign the trans is the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

whole 4wd transmissions complete with the front diff/bell housing assembly are getting hard to find. but the front bell housing and diff assembly is the same as the 2wd version of the trans, so you may be able to find a front diff assembly/bell housing that you can use on the same gear box. They are more common and less costly than whole transmissions. But you have to watch out for the ring and pinion ratio. Toyota put two different ratios in the 4wd wagon '83-84 is 3.73:1 and the '85-88 manual wagon used 4.10:1, you have to match front and rear diff ratio. the auto trans used a different ratio (3.9:1 or something, not sure), and it is likely the 2wd version had a different ratio as well. If yours is 2wd, than ratio is not that critical since you do not have to match the rear.

the main gear box and cluster may be okay if not too much metal shavings went from the diff housing into the main bear box housing, so you may be able to clean it out, attach a new front diff housing, and get it going that way for about $100 worth of parts.

I would replace the whole assembly as a unit, and not try to install the correct ring and pinion gears, the lash is critcal and takes some careful assembly and measurements to get correct. The complete assembly would already have the correct lash and you can just swap it in.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
typeb20

Post by typeb20 »

It is an 83 manual four wheel drive. When the front differential went, it took out the transmission output shaft to front differential. I took front differential off of transmission. Pictures will help illustrate the issue. I will take pictures tomorrow.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think the front output shaft might be the same as the 5 speed 2wd trans, but not sure. forum member Xirdneh would know more about this, he has taken both apart and compared parts. if not you will need to find an output shaft from teh 4wd, Xirdneh has some parts from junk trans, he might have a good output shaft for you.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

4wd output shaft is much longer than 2wd
if just the splined connection on the forward end of output is bad it can be pulled and replaced with a little heat and a 3 jaw puller
might have to grind some metal off the 3 jaws to get a grip
or use a bearing separator to pull it
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
rabalc
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by rabalc »

Chris,

Take a look at the link to craigslist post, I would be willing to work with you to get these to get the parts I need

I have called but have got no response yet

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/c ... 69956.html
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

no matter what save that 4wd tranny for parts
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.